He'll Be the Death of Me, I Swear

Just Half a Day

When we were walking home, I thought mainly about the whole situation with Landyn and Jacob. That made me think of the look of joy on my mother's face when she thought Jacob and I were something. She had been so happy...

"Can we see her yet?" I asked out of nowhere.

"Who, Danica?" Landyn asked, taken off guard. I guess he hadn't been reading my mind, learning his lesson the last time. I still felt terrible...

"Sorry, my mom. It's been three days, pretty much."

"That's cutting it close, isn't it?" he asked, not sure how to tell me no. I'm sure he was afraid I would leave him if he made me least bit unhappy. As much as I hated to admit it, our relationship was getting pretty strained. And that murdered me on the inside. I was drifting from him and was on the line between him and Jacob.

"I know, but she's strong. It should be okay, right?" I was begging him and his eyes darted for a moment.

"How about you stay at your place today. Don't go in there, though: wait until tomorrow. I'll run your stuff over and I'll see you tomorrow. Alright?" Was something wrong?

"Okay? Landyn...are you trying to tell me something?" Was he wanting a break or what?

"I think we need this. Half a day away from me and you'll be at my feet again," he smiled. "Plus, I'm going to get some food, if you catch my drift. That's all, I swear."

"Hurry back," I told him, kissing his nose as he dropped me off at my house.

"I'll do it as fast as I can," he promised me, kissing me quickly before vanishing in an instant. I walked to my phone and played the messages. All of them were from Jacob. All ten of them! I riffled through until I found the most recent one.

"Dani...I know you probably don't want to, considering you're with Landyn all the time, but maybe sometime we can hang out, like old times. You haven't called me back any, so I get it pretty much. Don't worry, I'll stop calling."

"That was a week ago," I thought out loud. I was neglecting him that much and I felt awful. I had no company today so I called him up.

I better not regret this!