He'll Be the Death of Me, I Swear

Movie Nights

Jacob had been more than happy to accompany me on my day alone when I called him up, so I was sitting on my couch with the movie ready and popcorn on the coffee table with the two cans of soda I had gotten us out. We used to do movie nights all the time, so it was only appropriate. There was a knock on the door and I sprung to my feet.

As soon as I opened the door I was swept off my feet by my little werewolf buddy.

"Welcome home," I joked as he kicked the door shut while carrying me to the couch.

"Good to be back, Danica," he told me, smiling. I looked him up and down.

"Is there a reason why you're wet and have no shirt?" I asked him and he laughed.

"You called when I was in the shower. As for the no shirt, I ran here dog-style and I didn't want to carry more. You're lucky I'm wearing pants at all!"

"Oh goodness, I should thank the stars then, shouldn't I?" I laughed and he settled down beside me.

"I missed movie night," he told me, popping some of the buttery goodness into my mouth.

"I know... Listen, I'm sorry that I've been totally blowing you off lately," I told him, completely serious for once in my life.

"Don't stress it. All that matters is now. What movie? A long one I hope."

"Titanic!" I shrieked, tossing popcorn at him.

"Sweet. Good and long," he told me, kissing my cheek. He put an arm around my shoulder and I let myself lean my head on him like we always did during movie marathons. "So is this the usual movie day?"

I knew what he meant. Normally he always slept at my house because my mom was fond of him. She knew he wouldn't do anything inappropriate and she trusted him like a son really.

"Sure, Jake. But we can't go into my mom's room, so no raping my mother tonight," I joked and he gave me a crooked smile.

"Why do you have to burst my bubble? Damn, and I always enjoyed sleeping with your mom!" We both laughed.

The movie started and we fell into a complete silence. The only sound I heard was the movie and the heartbeat of the boy beside me. I had missed that sound. Landyn's heart didn't make a sound...

Who should I really be with? I looked at Jacob as he watched the movie intently with his head rested on mine. I felt so safe and secure when I was with him. And Landyn was just amazing. He loved me so much and I loved him, too. But I also loved Jacob...

So what could I do? They couldn't become one person. I wish they could. That would either make someone really ugly or someone better than heaven! My heart was telling me I was in love with two guys and my head told me, "Too bad, you can't have both of them!" I hated my head at that moment.

"Danica, hello?" Jacob's voice derailed my train of thought and I looked at the scrolling credits on the tv. I had been thinking that long?

"Oops, spaced out," I laughed. "Hold on, I'll put our stuff away." I grabbed the garbage and put my unopened pop back in the fridge. Jacob was channel surfing by the time I got back. I smiled. I could really picture us being together.

Two little black-haired boys running around the living room while Jacob and I sat on the couch watching tv together. Jacob would be telling them to calm down, laughing despite how stern he was trying to be.

And then with Landyn. I saw us sitting together. Both of us cold as ice. Flawless as celebrities. But no children. No sound of heartbeats or laughter. Just a giant empty house that only the two of us shared. I was happy with him, but the benefits weren't as good as with Jacob.

I stopped thinking and walked back into the living room. All of a sudden the room was spinning and then I was staring at the ceiling, lying on the couch on my back.

"Jacob!" I shrieked. He had pulled me over the couch and made me do a back flip or something! I heard him laugh like an angel as he looked at me as I lay hopelessly.

"I'm sorry, the opportunity was there and I had to take it," he told me, voice so sweet.

I was about to say something when Jacob pounced like a kitten. He was so adorable with his feline side! He jumped on me and laughed.

"You like being on bottom?"

"I prefer the top," I told him, laughing.

"Too bad, that spot's all mine." To prove his point he lay on me completely.

"Can't breathe!" I complained and he rolled around a bit.

"Ah, the top is splendid." After my face was blue he took some of his weight into his own hands.

"Thank--!"

I didn't get to finish thanking whoever it was I was going to thank. In fact, I couldn't remember what I was going to say as soon as his lips were on mine.

I knew I should pull away. I knew I was being unfaithful. I knew that Landyn wouldn't like it. I knew that I liked it. I knew that I wasn't going to pull away.

But mostly I knew I was kissing back as my hands tangled themselves in his shaggy hair as I tried to pull him closer. But it was perfect. Like we were meant for each other. We didn't have to be cautious like Landyn had to be with me and Jacob certainly wasn't being careful at all.

This was bad. Very, very, very, very bad. But it felt so right. So unexplainable.

"I love you," Jacob told me, pulling away for a brief second before his lips found mine yet again.

"I love you, too," I whispered, fighting the tears. I did love him and no amount of love for Landyn would change that...