He'll Be the Death of Me, I Swear

Late Night or Early Morning?

Jacob was asleep on the floor beside me as I sat up, unable to sleep. He looked so adorable, but not even that calmed me. I gave up on sleeping and walked to my phone. I needed to talk to someone I could trust.

Michelle.

"Danica? What's wrong? Is something wrong?" Michelle was obviously caught off guard by my two-in-the-morning call.

"I don't know what to do!"

"What do you mean? Talk to Landyn about it; he can help. Where is he?"

"Jake's here," I sobbed. "Landyn went to feed or something."

"The mutt?!?" Michelle yelled and I cringed from the phone for a second or two.

"Jacob, yes." I wiped my eyes. "Movie night."

"Did he try something again? I'll kill him, I swear."

"No, well, yes. But...I let him. I don't understand! I love Landyn, I do. But I love Jacob, too."

"But you and Landyn, you know, did the dirty. Jacob and you didn't...?" She left room for me to finish her sentence.

"No. I wouldn't. I couldn't do that to Landyn..." I wasn't so sure of myself.

"He is the guy of your dreams! Remember? Since when is Jacob Mr. Right?"

"He's always been. I just realized it a few days ago."

"Look, I'd say stay with Landyn, but that's because he's not a wolf." She wanted to go obviously.

"Right. Tell your little boy toy I say hi."

I hung up and sat beside the sleeping boy I'd been used to calling just a friend.

"You look so cute when you're sleeping," I told him softly, running my hand through his hair.

"I know." He sat up and I jumped to my feet, startled. I stuttered for a bit before my tongue got out of its knot.

"How long have you been up?" I finally asked coherently.

"I woke up to you...crying," he told me quietly, looking away awkwardly.

"So you heard...everything?" He nodded and finally looked to me, but not soon enough.

"But I'm glad I did. Except for the fact that you wouldn't do anything dirty with me," he joked. He added, "Dani, you know how I feel and you know you feel the same."

"I know. But I love both of you. I can't do this!" I cried again.

"It's okay. I know." He wrapped his arms around me and I wept freely in his embrace.

"I love you so much," I sobbed into his shoulder.

"I can't believe how long I've been waiting for you to finally say that," he whispered.

"I'm so sorry," I confided softly, clinging to him as he lay down.

"Let's just get some sleep."

"Okay."

"Love you."

"Love you, too."

And with a single kiss good night, I was out in a matter of seconds. One to be exact.