He'll Be the Death of Me, I Swear

A Death in the Family

When I woke up I saw Jacob sitting up and watching TV. I lifted my head from his lap and he smiled, seeing I was awake. I wondered how long he had been up.

"Good morning, my dear," he said softly, kissing my cheek. I smiled softly.

"Good morning, Jacob."

We sat there for a while before the doorbell rang. I skipped to the door, not feeling tired at all like I usually was in the morning. I opened the door and Landyn was standing there. I gulped.

"We need to talk, Danica." He looked past me and at Jacob. "Blair," he bid him. I let him in and he stood by the door, deciding not to come any closer. "And don't cry, please."

"What happened?" I asked, butterflies in my stomach.

"Promise me you won't cry and you won't point fingers, okay?" He was so calm. What was wrong?

"Tell me, Landyn," I begged in a quiet voice.

"Don't go in your mom's room. Please don't go in there." He bit his lip and looked away from me as I stared at him.

"What's wrong with her?" I asked, terrified and frozen in place.

"She's dead."

"What?" Tears were welling up in my eyes.

"I think...she knew what was happening. She killed herself before...before she was completely changed. And I know that means that you don't have an obligation to be with me anymore. And I understand that it also means that if you want you can be with Jacob, not me." His voice was as low as a whisper.

Jacob joined us at my other side and I looked at my feet.

"She's actually gone," I forced myself to admit. "But you tried."

"Danica, I did as much as I could," he told me, looking down as well.

"And I thank you for that. But now you're expecting me to choose between you and Jacob?" I asked him, feeling sick to my stomach.

"Yes. You have to. Danica, you knew this would come eventually."

"But I love you both!"

"Danica, you can't have us both," Jacob told me quietly, joining Landyn and I as we all stared at the floor.

"So who is it going to be? A leech--" Landyn started.

"Or a mutt?" Jacob finished.

As soon as the answer came to me, I put it out there.