He'll Be the Death of Me, I Swear

Miracles Like That Just Don't Happen

I found a seat and sat there. Naturally, Landyn joined me soon after. Class was a study hall and I found it strangely relieving to have someone to talk to in that class for once. Actually, I might have found it just a bit too relieving.

"So why did you move here anyway?" I asked him, trying to kill time. He shrugged.

"I just wanted a change of pace, I suppose. So, my mother and father told me we could go anywhere. I said a small town, so here we are. Besides, it made it easier on my mom getting to work."

"Do you guys move a lot?"

"Yeah, but only when I want to. I hadn't found anything worthwhile at my old towns, so that's why we left."

"Did you find anything here?" I asked him. He smiled innocently like an angel yet again.

"I just might have," he told me, eyes boring into my mind. Scratch that first comparison: he was more like an angel with a trick up his sleeve...or maybe a deceitful demon!

"Oh, really? I know I like a lot of things here. Well, okay, so I just like my few friends. Jacob and Michelle make life so much easier to bear when all I feel like doing is dying. I'm going to need them a lot in the few several months."

"Why is that?" he asked, actually looking interested.

"My mom's not so healthy," I muttered softly. "She has stage four cancer and the tumors are going to kill her in the next three to six months." I blinked furiously at the tears that tried to flow softly down my cheek.

"Oh. You really care about her, don't you?" he asked, reaching out and putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Yes." My voice cracked and I bit my lip. "I'd do anything to save her. She doesn't deserve to die. She didn't do anything wrong. She even managed raising me alone when my father died of alcohol poisoning."

"She means a lot then," he started, "if you'd be willing to pay any price just to cure her of this illness." I only nodded, not trusting my vocal cords to work properly. He seemed to be in deep thought and I didn't disturb him until he'd been silent for three minutes.

"I've given up on the hope of her getting better. No miracle could save her now."

"I know a good doctor." I shook my head.

"So does she. He said there was nothing more to do except wait it out." He grimaced at my stubbornness and shook his head.

"I bet my guy could save her. But he's not free for quite some time. Maybe around a few weeks."

"It won't work, but that would be a good birthday present, I think."

"When's your birthday?" he asked, sinking back into his intrigued gaze.

"Three weeks from today. The 19th. I'll finally be eighteen. I guess it worked out well enough. I can take care of myself when she's gone." He only nodded and I watched as he sunk into his thinking state again. I didn't disturb him this time. Maybe he'd come up with a cure for cancer.

Only in my dreams.