Status: Completed

Same Time, Next Year

1994

1994

Billie Joe's taxi pulled up outside the seaside resort and he hopped out, looking up at the small little cottage with the blue shutters on the window and the view of the lake several hundreds of feet away. The driver had stepped out and went to the trunk, pulling out Billie Joe's only suitcase and handing it off as the punk rocker who was adorning a now shorter and bleached hairstyle, handed the driver his fare.

"Thanks," the driver said, waving before driving off.

Lugging the suitcase up the stairs to the small wrap-around porched, Billie Joe turned the front door knob and pushed it open. He glanced around at the living room area and set his bag down on the couch just as he heard the bathroom door squeak open.

Mary stepped out, dressed in a pair of jeans and a white blouse similar to something that girl wore on that show 'Blossom'. She smiled up at him, taking the two steps it took to get to the living room, since the bedroom and bathroom were situated on a separate level of the cottage.

"Hi there," she grinned.

"Hey," he grinned back, opening his arms wide and pulling her into a hug and then placing a kiss on her cheek. "How've you been?"

"Pretty good. Been busy. You?"

"Same," he replied, taking a seat beside his suitcase on the couch. She sat down opposite of him in the chair and leaned forward, clasping her hands in front of her.

"You changed your hair. It's all blonde now. Didn't like the dreadlocks anymore?" she smirked.

"Eh, I thought it was time for a change." He leaned back and gave another quick look around the cottage living room befores settling his green eyes back on her hazel ones. "So...time for Good Thing/Bad Thing," he announced. "Let's hear one good thing about your husband and one bad thing."

Sitting back slightly, Mary gave it some thought. "Okay, well, Chris is in the first grade now and Sean's 8 months old. His first word was 'mommy', so that's good."

"That doesn't have anything to do with Andrew," he chided.

"Oh...can we just skip to the bad thing then?"

"How bad is it?"

Mary figeted, biting her bottom lip before bringing herself to look at Billie Joe. "He lost his job at the Post Office. They were cutting back on their budget which meant cutting positions. His was one of them. And he's been pretty...unbearable."

"He hasn't hit you, has he?"

"Oh, no. I woulda socked him right back."

Billie Joe gave a sigh of relief. "Well, that's good. I mean, that he didn't hit you..."

"Yeah...so, um...your turn."

"Adi and I got married this July and now Adi's pregnant. That's my good thing." He smiled. "The bad thing...she doesn't like my hair. I told she'd just have to get used to it and she gave me the silent treatment for a day or two."

"I can see why. The dreads worked for you."

Billie Joe shrugged. "Eh." After a moment he stood up and held out his hand. "So, how about we got get dinner and celebrate your birthday?"

"Sounds good," Mary replied, taking his hand and joining him at his side.

------------------------------------------------------------

AT THE RESORT RESTAURANT

Mary picked up her glass of champagne with a coy smile. "Expensive champagne. I feel special."

"It's your birthday. And I can afford it now," he smirked.

"I like that you dressed for the occasion, too," she laughed.

Billie Joe looked down at his attire and then back up at her with a dumbfounded expression. "I have a tie. That's dinner attire."

"Yeah, but not with a t-shirt, sweater vest and black jeans. But I still think you look good no matter what."

"Thanks. You don't look to bad yourself in that dress," he gestured nodded to the blue cocktail dress he'd bought her for a birthday present.

"I don't know how I'm gonna explain it to Andrew."

"Tell him you stole it." Mary gave Billie Joe a look, just as he almost choked on his own glass of champagne. He leaned back and tilted his head, peering under the table and then grinned back up at Mary. "That your foot running up my leg?"

"Might be," she answered, raising an eyebrow.

Without another word, Billie Joe stood up and walked over to her side and took her hand, pulling her up to stand up with him. "I'm not hungry anymore. You?"

"But..." she began to protest, looked down at their table and then let her shoulders droop. "Actually I'm kinda hungry." She wiggled her eyebrows and Billie Joe waved his hand over at the waitor.

"Check, please!"

------------------------------------------------------------

The cottage door burst open and slammed just as quickly as Billie Joe claimed Mary in a large embrace, backing her down the two steps into the bedroom area. Articles of clothing began to find their way peeled off and strewn about the floor in a hurried mess as the back of Mary's knees hit the edge of the bed and she tumbled backwards, taking Billie Joe with her.

He climbed up over her and began placing kisses up and down her neck, his hands finding themselves roaming...everywhere.

"Well worth a year's wait?" Mary asked.

"Mmm-hmm," Billie Joe replied.