Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

Kidnapped

I woke up still in so much pain. In fact, the first thing I did when I woke up was involuntarily grimace. I tried to get up, but fell back onto the bad that was way too comfortable. I had to fight the sleep that tried to overcome me.

But the pain that was physical was bearable. What stung more was my pride. I still hadn't been able to officially claim to be a werewolf. Without being able to phase, I might as well have been just a normal, weak human girl. Maybe I was.

I sighed and managed to pull myself into a seated position. It hurt like Hades, but I did it. I looked around through wide eyes. Where exactly was I? I obviously wasn't anywhere near werewolf territory: everything was just too fancy and expensive.

Instinctively, without even thinking about it, I called for Ian: the man who I had been relying on this whole time to save me. When he didn't come I started crying. He would come, I knew it. He wouldn't leave me: he loved me! He wouldn't dare leave me here, right? Wherever where was...

"I guess she has awoken. How kind of you to grace me with your conscious presence." A man walked in and bowed mockingly. A smirk was plastered to his face when he arose from his joke.

"Who are you?" I darted to the edge of my bed, forgetting the pain but not for long. I cried out as I fell to the floor, grasping my arm and holding it as I tried to soothe it.

"Careful, Isabel," the man laughed down at me, standing beside me in a split second. "We don't want you to be hurt. No, that won't do at all, will it?"

"Who are you?" I asked again, staring at his feet. He was wearing black converse. Funny how I noticed that.

"Forgive me, Bel. I am sorry, I suppose I should have answered you, but you shocked me with that act of...well I can't say I know what to call it exactly, but reckless comes to mind. But I suppose you won't be falling off any more beds, so I can tell you right now that I am a vampire and my name for that matter is Zach."

"If you're a vampire then why am I here? I'm a werewolf, so don't you hate me?" I was at a loss I suppose. I mean, I didn't know anything that would help me in a vampire's territory.

Zach laughed at this and I couldn't help but let my confusion show.

"Oh, dear girl, you are not a werewolf. You are a normal little girl as far as I'm concerned. I would be able to tell if you were a werewolf. You would smell horrible."

"I am, too!" I yelled, childish I know. "My mom and dad are werewolves! And so is Ian! I was working on phasing when you came and snatched me from my home!" He stopped laughing and seemed to be contemplating some things.

"That makes sense. But you couldn't do it, could you? When I found you, you were in quite an immense amount of pain. Tell me, how long had you been trying to become a mutt?" I grimaced at his choice of words.

"All day..." My pride took yet another hit. He laughed.

"Then, do you think you're really meant to be a werewolf?"

...I didn't know the answer to that question.