Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

Second Thoughts

"I don't know..." I eventually admitted, hanging my head.

"Don't be so depressed about it. I would consider it a blessing to be saved from becoming a werewolf. Such a dreaded thing, I would imagine."

"You don't understand. I always wanted to be a wolf," I told him, eyes tearing up. He frowned.

"Wow. That's not something I can agree with. I didn't exactly want to be a vampire, but now that I realize it, it's what was best for me anyway."

I gave up on trying to get him to understand where I was coming from. It was entirely pointless.

"Why did you steal me anyway?" I asked him, sighing as I decided to stop talking about the possibility that I shouldn't become what I always wanted to be.

"That's an interesting question, Isabel," he told me, smiling again. I dragged myself back onto the bed and he sat beside me. "I could smell you. I could smell that sweet blood and mostly I could smell pain and stress. I wanted to see who that belonged to. I mean, the blood smelled absolutely divine and I could tell you were a girl. I could also tell you were near mutts."

"Why didn't you suck me dry there? I was weak. The perfect prey, right?"

"Normally, yes. You would have been the perfect prey. But as for me keeping you, well, you wouldn't want to hear about it," he smirked, probably thinking about it. You couldn't do that to a girl.

"Tell me. I have a right to know."

"Hmm, you are right, of course, but I cannot or you wouldn't like being around me much." Okay, now I was scared.

"What do you want with me?" I asked, shaking slightly.

"You'll find out quite soon, believe me. And then, you'll be glad I hadn't told you anything."

"Ian will come save me. He was waiting for me for over ten years. He loves me: he told me so."

"You came around at a rather convenient time for him, didn't you?" He was grinning by now and it was creepy.

"What do you mean?" I asked, cautious.

"Think about it. He knows that you'll be in heat soon. And he told you he loves you. Doesn't that sound so coincidental? What makes you think he doesn't say that just so he can get in your pants?"

"He wouldn't do that. He cried while I was gone."

"Or maybe it was a set up. He wanted you to think he missed you so bad so you wouldn't be reluctant to mate with him."

"He's not like that!" I defended. Why was I so touchy about it?

"You don't love him, do you?"

"No, I don't." Easy enough, but that made me feel horrible.

"Then he'd just have to savage you, blaming it on his male hormones to make sure you wouldn't be mad at him."

Oh God, he had said something similar...

"But enough of that talk. Let's go downstairs so you can have something to eat. It won't be worth waiting for what I want if you starve to death. That would be unpleasant."

This was driving me insane...