Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

Third Time's the Charm?

When I woke up I was in excruciating pain, but that was entirely normal. It had been a whole week: of that I'm sure. And that week had been filled with failed attempts of phasing. How many times I tried, I don't know. I couldn't be sure, but I did know I had tried enough to make it nearly impossible to drag myself from bed.

"Good morning, Isabel," Zach muttered from somewhere. I didn't know where he was exactly, but he always did that to me anyway.

"Morning." I turned around and nearly had a heart attack as Zach smirked before me in all of his creepy glory. He laughed, as if he could hear my heartbeat quicken dramatically. Heck, maybe he could.

"Well, highlight of my day, I'll give you that. But there is someone I want you to meet. He's an old friend of mine and I'm sure he would just love to be of your acquaintance. He's dying to see you!" he laughed. Oh, what a horrid joke, but I followed him anyway.

"Ahh, this is Isabel?" A man stood up and crossed the room in three graceful strides before he was standing before me as Zach left my side.

"Yes, Gabe. Bel, this is Gabriel, the friend I was telling you about," Zach explained.

"Charmed, I'm sure. Now, are you ready or do you need to pack?" he asked, dropping any look of innocence he'd had up until then.

"Excuse me?" I asked him, so utterly confused.

"Yes, you're coming with me. Oh, did Zachariah not tell you, dear one?" he asked, cocking his head to the left.

"Oh, right. Kinda forgot to tell her. Oh well, learn from your mistakes!" he chuckled. Were we not discussing my deportation or what?

"Excuse me, but I'm not going with you, Gabriel. I'm sorry but I have to get back to my family and boyfriend." Sure, it was a warning, but I wanted him to leave me alone.

"As for your family, parting is, as they say, such sweet sorrow. And don't worry about a little boy toy. I can take up all positions for him." He laughed and Zach did, too. I felt like I was missing a joke unless...

He was a guy, of course.

"You are disgusting! I will have none of that, I will have you know!" I growled, trying to be menacing. But compared to them, I was a little teething puppy and they were the big men calling all of the shots.

"Oh, yes you will. You see, I've spent money on you and I'll be damned--again--if you aren't worth every penny."

"I am not your servant," I hissed, glowering at him more than Zach. As far as I was concerned, that lying, filthy man didn't exist.

"Good. I prefer pets anyway," he smirked and my instincts kicked in. I was hardly aware when my hand made contact with his pretty little face. He looked shocked enough.

"Oh, girl. You should have not done that," Zach muttered.

"Go to Hades!" I demanded, turning my attention back to Gabriel.

"You little wench!"

And next thing I knew my face met the floor. It was not a nice acquaintance as the floor was very rude: I think it made me bleed. I touched my forehead and winced, looking at the red water dripping from my fingertips. Gabe seemed mesmerized by it. Oh, boy.

"We're leaving. Now. Good bye, Zach." He spoke so quickly and his movements were none the slower. I didn't even get a glimpse of Zach before vampire boy was gone from my view.