Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

Fed up with This

It had been two weeks now since I had been stolen from my own back yard. Damn those vampires. Funny how all those girls go crazy over the thought of a hot vampire. Whoever thought vampires were better than werewolves had some serious issues.

Maybe abandonment ones? Or mental most likely. I mean, werewolves are soooo cool and...Damn, I wanted to phase so very badly.

In fact, I had gone from trying once every other hour to trying twice in every hour. My body was being tormented, but it deserved it for not letting me change form.

But I did take a day of rest from the whole thing and thought things out before concluding: I'm running away. Sure, I'm in the middle of nowhere and my chances of survival were low--if I had any. But I was tired of living with a leech. Pack my bags, I'm going home.

But I didn't have bags, so at noon--when the sun was highest up and when Gabe is napping or whatever he does--I ran out the front door. I was in the sun and everyone knows they poof into dust or something.

Alright, so I had no idea where I was. The house was still in plain view and I knew that wasn't good, so I marched away from there. Home--wherever you are--I will find you.

"I don't recall saying you could just up and leave when you feel like it."

I bit my lip and turned to see Gabriel standing in the shadows of a tree. Oh, I was going to let him have my mind right then and there.

"Oh Gabey dear, want can you do? I have hours of daylight to escape and with you only being able to follow where shadows are, you can't catch me! I'm going home you [explicit language]!!!"

His whole face curved into a twisted smile and if that was joy maybe he shouldn't be happy.

"Oh? Who told you that nonsense?" he asked, stepping gingerly into the sunlight and closer to me. I gaped at him as he looked in shock at himself. "Goodness, is this what dust looks like? I envy it!"

My stomach churned and my heart lurched into my throat as his laughter commenced.

"My, you look like you've seen a ghost!" he laughed, holding his sides.

"I'm going to be sick. You mean...sun doesn't kill you?" I squeaked.

"No, but I do think that vampires kill you. Get back in the house for your punishment or I'll kill you right here."

"I'm not going back there!" I screamed. "I won't do it!" I ran off--a stupid move on my part--and came to halt as he appeared before me, amusement gone.

"You just dug your own grave, girl. And I can assure you your little boyfriend won't be saving you. I'm sure he has enough to deal with!" His creepy grin made me want to vomit even more. What was wrong with Ian? What was happening back at home?

"If Ian's dead, I may as well be, too."

"Hmm, then I guess it's time for you to die, Bel."

"He's dead?" I felt tears come to my eyes. I worried for my home...and my people there.

"You'll join him soon enough, dear."

It was all slow motion. He lunged at me with eerie grace yet killing speed. My eyes widened and instincts kicked in.

It was my first phase.