Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

As Good as Gone

"Holy shit!" Gabriel fell backwards not so gracefully. "Well, now you have to die: you'll taste awful!"

"Go to hell!" I yelled at him, but he only looked at me like I was insane.

"I'm sorry, bark that again if you would. Dear Bel, I don't speak mutt."

I growled at him before pouncing on him, clawing his face once. He cursed and rolled out from under me. I felt teeth pierce my neck and I howled, clawing at the air until the vampire was off of me. I could feel that he had torn off some of my skin as fresh blood matted my fur. I gritted my teeth against the pain. Know what, I could bite, too!

I jumped to my feet--well, paws (yay!)--and looked around for the vampire in my midst. He had the upper hand unfortunately since he had been a vampire for obviously a lot longer than I had been a werewolf. But I knew that dogs had good smell, so maybe I could track him that way.

...Eww!

That horrid odor had to be him, so I threw myself to the left. I tackled Gabriel to the ground and bit his shoulder as hard as I could, ripping off skin, spitting it out, and digging my claws into the open wound.

"Bitch!" he screamed, trying to push me off. I clamped onto him again with my canines. The more he resisted, the more skin I tore off and the more pain he went through.

Each time he got free I clawed and chomped down elsewhere. He wasn't getting away unless he let me go! Eventually I bit down on bone and he screamed excruciatingly loud. I already had sensitive hearing!

I knew his leg was broken. I also knew that it would be way too hard to kill a vampire especially since it was so hard just to hurt him. And who knew how long it would take for him to heal? I decided what would be best to do: I tore off some flesh on his leg, leaped off him, and ran as fast as my legs would carry me. The house was out of view in a matter of minutes.

I finally had gotten my wish and I was running so fast it made me feel invincible. I smelled the air and followed the scent of werewolves, hoping the trail would leave me home.

After a few days and passing through quite a few werewolf settlements, I was in Ian's woods. I felt so...exhilarated. I trotted back into my town, head held high.

Well, not for long...