Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

The Welcome Wagon

As soon as I walked out of the forest I knew something was wrong. There was no one outside and it was like a ghost town. I barked loudly, but no one came. But I recalled Gabe's conversation with me and I dashed for Ian's house.

"Ian?" I yelped, looking around. Well, he wasn't there, but maybe he'd be at my house.

I ran as fast as I could to my parent's place. I was panting heavily as I walked through the doorway.

"Mom? Dad? Ian?" I barked.

"Who are you and what do you want?!" my mom screamed, throwing a broom at me. I jumped out of the way and snarled.

"What are you doing?!"

"You already stole my son! What do you want?"

"Mom...you don't have a son. It's your daughter!"

"No. My baby Isabel couldn't phase. You're not my girl. Who are you?"

"Where's dad? And Ian?" I asked her, butterflies in my stomach.

"My husband went out searching for Ian," she whispered.

"Where's Ian?" I cried, not wanting to believe he was really gone. I had gotten back and I wanted him to tell me I was safe now. I wanted to show him I was ok and I was a wolf! I wanted to...I just wanted to know he was alright. This was all my fault!

"He went searching for...Bel?"

"Yes! That's what I've been saying!" I barked with glee. She ran up to me and threw her arms around my neck.

"You are so pretty," she cooed. She led me to a mirror and I saw that I had jet black fur. I guess hair color determined the wolf fur color. But Ian was auburn and he had black hair... I'd ask him when I found him.

"How do I phase back?" I asked her and she looked at me funny.

"How did you phase the first time?"

"A vampire jumped at me."

"So that triggered it: danger. Alright, remember what Ian was telling you to do to phase back in the forest? Try it now."

No way was this going to work. I had tried for hours, so whatever.

By God, it did work. I threw my arms around my mom.

"I missed you so much! I was afraid I'd be stuck with Zach forever! Well, Gabriel was worse. I have to find Ian!" I told her, standing up straight.

"What if you get stolen again?" she asked, worried.

"I won't. I'll find dad and then I'll bring him back. Then I'll go find Ian."

"Be careful," she called out as I ran on four paws, sniffing the ground for any scent of my father. I felt like a bloodhound!