Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

Forgery

Two quick knocks on the door. Soft and short, hoping he wouldn't come. Then Alaska would be beckoning to me. God didn't have my back then.

"Excuse me, do I know you?" Greg appeared in the doorway and looked completely baffled.

"You do, Greg. Sorry, I got lost when I was running."

"...Renee? Did puberty hit you like a bullet train or what?" he asked, gaping. I laughed lightly.

"I guess you could say that."

"Well, get in here. You've been gone for who knows how long." He stepped back into the house and I followed him in. "So where have you been?"

"I ran into some people who took care of me, but I decided it would be best for me to find my way back home. My real home." Yes, this was truly where I belonged. Human among humans. I was no werewolf at all. I was just a pretty little girl and that's all there was to it.

"That was nice of them, but I was starting to worry. It was awfully quiet without you, you know?"

"I want to go to college," I told my step-brother quickly and out of nowhere. He looked at me funny.

"And you want my help to forge the documents, right?" he sighed. "It's only fun the first time! Fine, I'll help. Just don't get in trouble with the law or something. I don't want to have to bail your sorry ass out of jail."

"Done," I swore to him and sat down on the modern sofa in our living room. Funny, it wasn't so appealing now. I'd get over it, though. I had to, after all.

"Right then. I'm going to get to work on that and you just relax. I can only imagine what states you've been through!" Greg left me alone and I turned on the television. I guess I could put off Alaska for a bit. Whatever school accepted me first was where I was going. Whether it be in California or Kentucky, I didn't care. Scratch that. Whatever school Greg applied me to, was where I was going. Yeah, less work.

The sound of people screaming filled the otherwise quiet house as five campers tried to escape a homicidal maniac. It wasn't the best movie, but I didn't feel like doing anything.

I was done with running. It would only remind me of what could have been. What I didn't deserve to have. No more phasing either. Hopefully I'd forget how eventually and I could truly be a normal girl who lives with her brother. And is going to college underage and undereducated.

So it's not that normal, but compared to what I had put up with, it was normal enough. Hopefully there would be some cute human guys at this college. Human only, no more werewolves. Or vampires for that matter. I dug my grave when I saved Ian, but somehow I had gotten out of the ground.

And I didn't plan on being buried in that hole ever again.