Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

A Year Later

I stood in front the building before me. I had no idea what I was majoring in, but I figured Greg knew what I would be good at, so I had trusted him completely when it came to the college stuff.

It had taken a year for me to get ready for the "college experience" I had gotten myself into. Honestly, what had I been thinking when I decided to do this? Good thing was that phasing was no longer second nature to me. In fact, I hadn't done it once since I left Ian and my parents. I was normal again and it was staying that way. If I could manage one year then I could definitely manage the rest of my life.

And I had a pretty stable relationship with a guy. He was amazing! He had jet black hair, though he had told me he died it. He used to have kind of brownish. A little red in it, but he died it because he said he liked black hair better. And he had these gorgeous eyes. These emerald jewel eyes that I could get lost in. But he was always there to save me. Love was amazing. And I let him know that I loved him every moment I saw him.

He said it back, but I often wondered about his last heartbreak. When I had met him he was so sad. I asked why and he told me him and his girlfriend broke up and she didn't tell him why. But I was glad she did--if she didn't, I wouldn't have had him. But that was a terrible thing to say. Especially when I knew how much she meant to him. I only hoped I could become that meaningful to him.

But that made me think of Ian. Though he wouldn't be heartbroken like my Michael. Ian was probably so happy now that he hadn't had to put up with me for a whole year. And my parents felt free as a bird.

Everyone was happier this way. The only thing I didn't like about Michael was every once in a while--for a week about--he would be so distant and careful. It was like he was afraid of something. He would put distance between us and when we hugged, he always made it so quick and then he was gone. On those weeks I was completely depressed, but mood swings were normal for me.

"Hey, Ree," Michael said, hugging me from behind. I laughed and turned in his arms.

"Hey, Mikey," I laughed softly, kissing his cheek. "I love you."

"I love you, too, my sweet. Are you ready for your first day of college?"

"You're going to be with me, right?" I made sure. He had told Greg what to major me in.

"I wouldn't be caught dead anywhere else. Trust me, dearest."

"Then I'm ready," I smiled.

Ian was in the past. Werewolves were in the past. I had a perfect human boy to call my own and I knew this would last. I had never been so sure of anything before. With Ian, I hadn't been sure if I would ever love him. I fell in love with Michael in two months. Life was perfect and normal for a little human girl like me.

Too bad it couldn't last forever. And too bad I had to learn that secrets are best kept as secrets or they screw everything up entirely...