Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

Art Major

"You majored me in art? Have you gone mad?" I asked Michael. Surely he knew me better than that.

"I'm majoring in it. Besides, why did you really want to go to college?"

"To start over." The answer to that had been way easy.

"From what? What is it you didn't like?"

"Everything, Mikey. I don't want to talk about it. Not now, please."

"Okay, but I told you why I was down when I met you. Remember, Ree, I love you."

"Love you, too. Always will."

So I was majoring in art? College wasn't so fun anymore. They say it's the beginning of your life, but really, what's so great about it? It's high school all over again really. But Mikey was trying to help me enjoy it.

I knew what I wanted to do: I wanted to run. I hadn't done it in so long and I knew that was my passion. Wolves used to be, too, but it wasn't appropriate anymore. I was never to phase again and that was a decision I had made myself. I was sticking to it, no doubt. Eventually maybe the werewolf in me would die out and I would truly be a normal little girl.

Who was I trying to convince?

"Mike, do you think we could go for a jog later?" I asked. It was an innocent enough question.

"Oh, so you're a runner. See, why do you need college for that?"

"I figure I'll do a little. I have no idea where I'm going in life anyway."

"I know. You're going to be my fiance, then you shall become my wife." He kissed my cheek and I laughed.

"I'm not going to be a housewife, love."

"But what about our one hundred children? They need to be taken care of and I'll be busy being a doctor." He was so good at sounding serious.

"Okay, doctor, then why are you majoring in art?"

"I'm going to pretty up bad news so it's not as bad," he told me with a grin. I kissed his nose.

"Let's just get this over with, okay?"

"I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think, Ree.