Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

Sixteen

Surely enough, I woke up in the one place I didn't want to be: Isabel's home. Well, it was Ian's house, but that's because I was sixteen. I had turned that age when I was home. Renee's home anyway.

I sat up with a heavy sigh and an even heavier heart. I didn't want to be here: with the people who obviously didn't want me in their lives. Why Ian had gone through the trouble to pretend to be Mikey and "love" me, I didn't want to know. He probably felt as though it was his responsibility to make me happy and loved. That or he wanted to get lucky. That was probably it.

"Ian, take me back where I belong," I demanded when I walked into the living room. Yes, it was welcoming and to my liking. No, I wasn't meant to be there.

"No. Why did you leave?" he asked, standing up from the couch and walking over to me. "Why did you leave me?"

"You didn't want me anywhere near you. It was obvious. You wouldn't even talk to me! And you left me for dead when we got near home!" Truth was, it had hurt me. It really had hurt.

"Look, I had good reason to. Tell me, after you left, how long was it before you had your period?" What a nice conversation!

"A few days. Why?"

"Because I could tell it was coming up and I didn't want to be near you! I couldn't! What if I did something I'd regret?"

"How convenient for an excuse, huh?"

"Believe me already! I'm telling the truth!"

"You could've at least talked to me if that were the case! You could've told me!"

"Would you have believed me?" I was silent. No, I wouldn't have. "Didn't think so. Look, I didn't want to screw things up between us, but I did anyway. Don't you love me now? I'm Michael! You loved him!"

"He was a normal human as far as I knew. Just like me."

"You're not a human!" he yelled.

"Yes I am! I'm a normal little girl! I haven't phased in over a year! It'll die eventually," I told him. He picked me up and I voiced my protest.

"Maybe your parents can talk some sense into you!"

"I hate you! Let me go home!" I demanded.

"You are home!"

No, I was not home in the least.