Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

Waste of Money

I was sitting in the bathroom crying and I had been doing so for around an hour give or take. It'd been two months since Ian finally did what I thought he never would do. I had kicked him where the sun didn't shine that night, but he wasn't much phased by it. I had hated him so much at that moment. And I was crying because of something I had been missing for the past two months: my period.

I was crying because I was scared. I was scared I was pregnant. I didn't know if I was just having an off few months, but I wasn't so sure. Ian was in the bedroom probably feeling terrible. He had come to his senses after my week was over and he apologized like mad. I didn't completely forgive him, but he had even started crying, saying he was sorry over and over.

But no amount of apologies would change the fact that i might be... I didn't want to consider it. I couldn't be! I wasn't in love! I didn't love him at all! I didn't downright despise him after seeing him cry so much, but I didn't love the man.

I wiped my eyes and walked out of the bathroom. I couldn't take this any more! The uncertainty was just way too much for me to bear. Ian shot up from his pillow when he heard the door open. He wiped his eyes and flipped the pillow over before running to me and hugging me.

"I'm sorry! Please, you have to believe me!" he cried, planting his face in my hair. He could make me seem like Hercules.

"Ian, I'm going out," I told him in a whisper. His head immediately shot up and he stared at me, eye to eye.

"Why? You're not going to leave again are you?" His voice was so fast it was hard to keep up.

"No, I'm just going to the store back in town real quick."

"Why? Do you want me to come with you?" he asked quickly, not letting go.

"No, it's fine. I just have a headache."

"...Okay. Just promise me you'll come back. Please."

"I will, Ian." He let me go and I practically ran to the store. I knew what i needed and I grabbed it. The man who sold it to me was smiling the whole time and I have to say it was really awkward. Knowing men he was probably thinking "Someone got lucky without a condom". Or maybe I was just emotional. Mostly pissed.

When I got home Ian watched as I sped back into the bathroom. I pulled out toe pregnancy test. The worst minute or so of my life was spent waiting on the floor with the damned thing, praying it wouldn't be positive. I watched as it changed colors.

I threw it across the floor and cried loudly, not caring who heard. Ian broke the lock and ran in.

"Isabel! What's wrong?" he asked, running to me and picking me up. I sobbed uncontrollably into his shoulder. He walked over and grabbed the test up with his free hand.

"Oh my god....You're pregnant."