Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

Diagnosis

I was in the waiting room while Ian chatted away with the doctor. The guy had said it would be better to discuss it with Ian rather than me. The jerk. It' d been two weeks since I found out I was going to be a happy little mommy and I still hadn't gotten any better.

The door busted open and Ian slammed it before the doctor guy could come out. Ian stormed over and grabbed my arm, yanking me up. I cringed, but just stumbled along with him as he led me outside.

"Well?" I asked as we walked back home.

"He didn't know what he was talking about," Ian snapped, angry now.

"What'd he say?"

"Crackpot junk that isn't true."

"Like?" He wasn't exactly helping with this.

"Isabel, you're not hiding anything are you?" he asked, stopping in the middle of our walk.

"Not that I can think of. What did he say?"

"He said you're depressed."

"That's it? I'm sad? He is stupid."

"No. Depression. He said you have depression." Ian pulled out a cigarette and twirled it in his fingers for a bit before putting it back in his pocket. "And he said I don't know how to resolve my emotions. The bastard."

"Ian, I am not depressed."

"I know you're not! But...What if you are?" Ian's face fell. "I mean, it makes sense, right? I told him how you had given up running and you're pregnant with my kid and all that, and that's what he came up with."

"You think I have depression because I haven't phased?" Was he an idiot?

"Kind of...And you've been blaming the baby for everything. I think it helps you to think at least some things aren't your fault since you seem to think everything else is." He pulled out a bottle and stared at it.

"You're seriously considering this...?" I asked as he handed me the antidepressants.

"I want you to be happy like you used to be. I miss it. And if this doesn't work...I'll consider getting rid of my child..."

I sighed, defeated. I just wanted to sleep. "Ian, I'll try it, but I'm not so sure." I threw one down my throat and we started walking again.