Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

Scandalous!

One month Later

Ian walked in and I smiled, kissing his cheek. He sat down beside me as I watched TV and put his arm around his shoulder.

"How has your day been? You know, free loading off me?" he asked, laughing. All it took to make him happy was a smile, though it was so hard to make one.

"Lovely. How was your day of bugging my parents and presumably talking about me behind my back?"

"Feisty, aren't you? It was great as always."

"You're funny. A riot." I stood up.

"Where are you going?" He stood up as soon as I started walking to the door.

"Just some me time."

"You had that all day," he pouted. "How about some Ian time?"

"Nah. I want some fresh air. I'll be back in a little while."

"No trying to phase, ok?" He was real strict on that one.

"Fine, no phasing. Look, I'll just be gone an hour. I'm just going to go check on Greg." The door closed behind me and I started walking as soon as my smile fell. I just needed to get out of that house. And away from the man who made me act like the pills had helped. No, they hadn't, but him thinking they had had made him drop the smoking thing. But it was a really tiresome act. I walked into the woods and started crying as I sat down. I had been keeping this up for a month and it was murder getting him to trust me being alone again.

I glared down at my stomach through tear-stained eyes. There was no way I could do this. I couldn't raise a kid. I couldn't keep pretending like I was okay when I wanted to die! I couldn't even keep Ian happy without lying...

I heard a twig snap and my eyes shot up to see a boy staring at me.

"What's wrong?" he asked, walking up to me.

"Nothing." I threw on another happy act.

"I don't think, so but I won't pry." He sat beside me on the ground. "So what are you doing out here?"

"I live nearby. You?"

"I left my old settlement." I looked at his eyes. Beastly blue. I knew he was a werewolf: you could tell by the eyes.

"Why?"

"I didn't like the rules. Where's yours?"

"Just outside these woods. If you need a place I'm sure Ian would lend you a hand."

"Really? You live with him?"

"Yeah."

When we got there Ian was gone so I led him in. We were short on space, so I told him one of us could use the couch or something.

"I can't thank you enough. I mean, just like that you took me in? You sure Ian will be okay with this?"

"I don't care if he doesn't. I live here, too. I'm Isabel by the way."

"Ulrich. So Isabel, am I just some hobo in your book?" Funny question!

"Hobo? Well I thought hobos weren't attractive," I giggled. He wasn't bad looking or anything.

"I guess you're not a hobo either then." I blushed like mad when he took my hands in his. "So Ian is?"

"I don't know. I mean, we have weird rules here."

"Hmm. Do they have rules against this?"

"Against what?"

His lips found mine and I melted in his arms. Oh my that couldn't be good...