Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

Sinking Feeling

"It's just until he can get on his feet! He left his settlement and he had nowhere to go! What else could I do?" I gave him puppy dog eyes, begging him to let Ulrich stay.

"For crying out loud, Isabel! What is he supposed to be? A practice child or what? We have one on the way, true, but you don't need to work on your motherly instincts now, do you? Honestly, I leave for five minutes and when I come back I have one extra person here! It's insane!"

"I love you?"

"Isabel! That won't exactly make me do anything you want, you know? Darling, where would we find the room?"

"He could sleep on the couch. Please? Come on, it'd be like having a friend around. When was the last time you made a new friend?"

"I...I need a cigarette." He pushed me off and walked into the kitchen. I sighed. He was going back to that again?

"He's a smoker? Isn't smoke bad for a baby?"

I looked to Ulrich, suddenly very tired.

"He did stop, but now...I don't know." I walked clumsily over to the couch and sat beside him, leaning my head on his shoulder. "I want him to quit. I really do." I closed my eyes and felt his arm wrap around my shoulder, holding me in place.

"It's okay, I promise."

"Get your hands off her," I heard Ian growl. I sighed and stood up slowly.

"Ian, I felt like I was going to pass out. He didn't mean--"

I felt wind whip past me and when I looked back I saw Ian holding Ulrich to the wall. What was his problem!

"Ian! Stop it!" I yelled, pulling on his torso, begging him to let go of him. "He didn't mean anything!" I bit down on the bend between his neck and shoulder. He yelped and turned to me, glaring.

"What the hell is your problem!" Ian screamed. I coughed from the smoke he exhaled.

"Ian, stop. Please!" I felt tears brimming my eyes and his face fell.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, pulling me into a hug. He let go and looked to Ulrich. "If it really means that much, then I guess he can stay for a little bit..."

"Thank you," I whispered, gripping his hand. He squeezed it reassuringly. Nothing could have ruined that moment. Except...

When I looked at my stomach. The festering hate came back and I think I must have passed out from exhaustion...