Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

Ransom

"I told you that you'd love her," Ian told me, holding me close as I held my baby girl.

"Don't ruin this for me, Ian," I begged, kissing the top of her head. "She's just so beautiful."

Ian smiled softly, kissing her as well. I smirked at him and kissed him quickly. I barely noticed Ulrich as he sat idly in the corner, bored out of his mind. He'd been moody ever since we got back with my child.

"So what are we to name her, dearest?" Ian asked, looking into her icicle-blue eyes.

"I'm not sure. Let's sleep on it, okay?" Ian nodded.

"I'll go take a shower so you two can bond."

I stood up and watched as he left before walking to Ulrich.

"What's wrong?" I asked him, sitting on his lap. He sighed and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"The kid. She creeps me out, Bell."

"Why does she do that?"

"And she makes me feel so dirty or something," he continued, as if I hadn't said a word. "Like what I'm doing is wrong. I know she's like me and all race wise and she kinda reminds me of my little sis, but the chick freaks me out."

"You have a sister?" I asked, leaning back on him.

"Yeah, err, I did anyway. I'm not sure if she's alive anymore. She's not too old neither, but vampires stole her. There was a ransom, but my parents refused to pay it. I haven't seen Annette in a good while. Maybe not, I don't keep track of time. She had a killer smile, though. All the guys loved her, she was so damn cute. The girl could dance, too. Really, she could. She put professional ballet dancers to shame. But she liked to crump a lot. That killed me, it did. I miss her..." He paused. "But the kid creeps me out."

"I'm sorry, Ulrich. They shouldn't have taken her from you."

"Damn straight. But they did. I miss Annette, I really loved the girl. Damn adorable, she was. I'd give anything to have her back in the family."

The whole conversation was making me uncomfortable, to tell the truth. I excused myself for bed. I was out before Ian came in, and I dreamed about Ulrich's sister.

I wondered what the ransom was...