Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

Good-bye

The next morning I woke up Ian. I didn't know what we were supposed to do, but I knew the first people I should ask: my parents. They knew about the rules of society, so they should know what was to be done with my baby vampire.

I walked into her room and gasped: so much had changed about her already. She looked more menacing. And she didn't smell very floral as she used to; she smelled like death. Nonetheless I scooped her up into my arms and walked to my parents' house with Ian beside me.

They were happy to see me at first, but then I saw the emotions play across their face. The slide show ended with disgust as they ushered us into the house.

"What happened?" my dad demanded, staring at his grand-daughter, confounded.

"Zach bit her," I whispered softly, not wanting to hear the truth.

"What do we do?" Ian asked, thinking he could handle this better than I could. His voice didn't falter as mine did. Did he know what was coming?

"Right..." My father took in a deep breath, running a hand through his hair. "Isabel, honey, you can't keep her."

"What?!" I screamed. "She's mine! I'm not going to throw her out like a bad puppy!" Ian grabbed my arm tightly, seeing the fit I was going into.

"It can't be helped, my love," he whispered, kissing my cheek softly.

"I can't give her up! What kind of cruel man could make me rid of my baby!"

"It's for the safety of our people," my mother reasoned. "She's a vampire: she'll eventually attack us."

"No! She'll be good!" I promised. "She'll be good!"

I saw my mother cast a glance at Ian who nodded, pulling me up. I was in tears. How could he be so heartless? As soon as we got outside I felt him lift my baby out of my arms and I started crying even more.

"Give her back!" I screamed, reaching for her.

"I'm sorry. We'll have another."

"How can you do this to me?" I cried, falling to my knees. I watched as my little girl stared at me with beady eyes.

"Isabel, she can't stay! But I won't kill her, okay?" He knelt down beside me.

"Then what are you going to do?" I asked, wiping my eyes.

"No doubt Zach knew we wouldn't keep raising her. He'll take her."

"I thought you kill him!"

"No, he got away. But he did laugh at me before he left and I guess I know why." Ian got up and looked around. "You can come out now."

And as the story goes, I had to watch as Zach walked off with my little baby. I bawled my eyes out that night. I just hoped she would have a good life.

Please, Zach, be good to her.

~Fin*

*Check out the sequel: Chasing the Moon