Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

A Very Sweet Dream Indeed

I was running carelessly through the forest where I had met Ian for the first time. I was in my wolf form and Ian was running backwards in front of me, taunting me as I tried to catch up to him. He was so smug with his agility, but I laughed as I leaped onto him, knocking us both to the ground, sending us rolling down a hill.

"You cheater," he barked playfully at me as he pinned me to the ground. I smiled and yipped in delight. I licked his face and he rubbed his nose to mine. "Okay, I forgive you."

"I know you do," I gloated and he growled playfully at me, letting me up. We trotted side-by-side to a river and drank from it.

"How can I stay mad at someone I have to spend my life with?" he asked. I laughed at him.

"As I recall you are quite happy with that."

"Never said I wasn't," he told me, licking my cheek. He nudged me and looked to the direction we came. "Come, darling, you shouldn't be romping so much. What if you scramble our child's brain?" I shook my head.

"But I feel fine," I whined. He nudged me again. "Fine." I trotted behind him and back to our little town, phasing back to my human form right after Ian did.

"Love you," he said like he always did when he made me do something I didn't want to.

"Hmph!" I said, tauntingly walking past him. He grabbed my hand and twirled me around into his arms. "I love you, too," I finally told him after he stared into my eyes, waiting for what seemed like forever.

"I know," he said, kissing me softly like always. Of course, ever since I had said "I love you" he had made the sweet kiss more passionate. I didn't find anything wrong with it either. "Come on, let's get you some rest."

"No, not tired."

"Remember what happened last time you said that?" He winked and I slapped him playfully. "What? Just saying!" I laughed.

"That may be so, but I don't think so, buddy. Not after all the torture you're putting me through!"

"By caring about your well being? Yes! How dare I?" He rolled his eyes at the same time as I did.

"I think you're just going overboard," I muttered, pulling myself from him and walking into the house.

"I heard that!" he told me, storming after me.

"Good!" I sat down on the couch and he sat down beside me.

"Hormones must be raging," he mumbled. I slapped him again.

"Wanna find out if they are? Keep being a jerk!"

"I am not being a jerk; I'm being a good lover!"

"Keep telling yourself that," I told him.

"Oh? I recall you telling me that once...You know, after we made that baby that's in your stomach right now!" I rolled my eyes.

"You're so nasty!"

"No, I'm just being a guy. What do you want from me?" he asked. I gave him a seductive look. He burst out laughing.

"Fine! We'll never do that again!" I said, standing up. His eyes widened in horror.

"Come now, dear, let's not be rash!" He walked after me. "We don't need to go overboard. In fact, fine. Right now." He pulled me to our bedroom hurriedly and I laughed as he kicked the door shut as he rushed me over to the bed.


I shot awake from my dream and noticed that he must have moved us for we were in what was now my room. He was sleeping soundly beside me with me held close as I thought about my dream. What did it mean? I knew I didn't love him for I just met him, but did I know, deep down, that I would come to love him? I sighed and turned in his arms to face him. His arms tightened as if subconsciously he was afraid I would leave him again. It made me feel horrible. I thought for a moment and decided what I needed to do. Hopefully he would stay asleep.

I stretched my head up and pressed my mouth to his open one. I wanted to know if it was as good as it had been in my dream. He didn't respond in the least and that was good: it meant I hadn't woken him. I felt a bit silly but when I pulled away I had more to think about.

That had been better than in my dream and he was asleep. I could only imagine what it'd be like if he were awake. I decided then and there that I needed to love him as soon as possible. I kissed him quickly before pressing my face to his chest: allowing his warmth to lull me to sleep so I could drop my thoughts. It worked and I didn't have another dream.