Sequel: Chasing the Moon

Pup Among the Big Dogs

Plans and Issues

We watched television and "cuddled"—which is quite pleasant by the way—for quite some time. My parents even joined us eventually (my mom seemed quite happy with how I was handling things—especially Ian and my love-tie to him) and started light conversation with mainly Ian.

"So what are you plans for life anyway, son?" my father asked Ian. Son?

"Well, I probably won't get married cause it just seems like a waste. I'm thinking maybe three or four kids." They were talking as if I didn't exist.

"You'll make a spectacular father, Ian," my mom told him, looking at me as she spoke. I scoffed.

"Four kids? That's funny," I uttered

"I'm 100% serious, doll." He had such a stern tone to his voice and I glared at him.

"You're not getting four or three. You'll be lucky to even get one!" I screeched and he cringed.

"Let's not make a scene—"

"I'll do what I want! You're talking as though I have no say in this! As if I'm not the one who has to carry these children and bring them into this world!"

"Dear, hush." He remained commanding and my parents glanced at each other worriedly.

"I can't do this!" I yanked myself from his wretched arms and stood up. "I don't want anything to do with this life! I don't want to be here!" I yelled to everyone in the room. Tears welled up in my mom's eyes and I ran into the kitchen before I could see her cry. The door slammed and I fell to the floor, crying. I hated this.

"You really hurt your parents, Isabel," he told me in a soft voice.

"I was trying to hurt you," I growled.

"Oh, you did. But it’s been numbed by the years I didn't have you at all."

"You don't have me now." Ian sighed and sat beside me, tilting my face up.

"You're crying," he observed, and the pain became more evident in his face and voice.

"So? Like you care."

"What do you mean?!" I care for you more than I care for myself!" He sounded appalled by now.

"Then why do you want me to go through so much pain—four times?!" I cried.

"I just said what I want. When we make that decision together we'll worry about that, dear. I wouldn't force anything upon you---especially not something as life-changing as that. That would be horrible and cruel."

"But you were all talking like either A) I wasn't there at all or B) it didn't matter what I had to say anyway."

"I'm sorry," he told me softly.

"Yeah," I mumbled to the floor. He sighed heavily.

"If you're not going to forgive me, then maybe it's time for you to see if your parents will forgive you."

"Fine." I stood and walked past him and into the living room. My mom's eyes were bloodshot but she had stopped crying. My father was holding her softly.

"I'm sorry," I told them when Ian had walked to my side. "I didn't mean it. I was just mad." My mother shook her head.

"No...We're horrible parents!" she cried, running into her room. My dad glanced at me quickly before darting after her. I stood stupidly, feeling terrible.

"Not so fun being unforgiven, is it?" Ian asked quietly.

"No," I choked out with a squeaky voice.

"Don't worry, though. Your dad forgives you and he's going to explain your actions to your mother."

"How do you know?" I wasn't going to get my hopes up.

"I've been around them for quite some time." I nodded and there was a pause for silence. "Do you forgive me?"

"Yes," I whispered and he embraced me softly, kissing my cheek.

"Good. I can't stand seeing your gorgeous eyes filled with such hate and anger." I didn't say anything for it was another one of those "What could I say?" moments. I had that kind of moment a lot, but anyway nobody said a word and another silence fell in place in the air around us.

Ian eventually left for a moment and went into my parents' room. I waited silently, refusing to move from my spot by myself. When he returned he led me outside without stopping so we could put on shoes—if he even wore any.

"Where are we going?" I asked him.

"You wanted to run. I'll teach you how to run faster."

"You mean I'm going to phase?" I asked with a squeal. He nodded and I kissed him happily, wrapping my arms around his neck. He was caught off guard but got more into it, which was when I pulled away to kiss his cheek. "Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"Don't thank me yet. Who knows how long this is going to take. This could be a very long day." He smiled crookedly and led me into a forest that lined the tribe's land--our land.