Abandoned Highways But Not Dreams

1

"I love him!" I hollered at the man hovering over me. I could barely make out any words from his slurred speech. I could smell a strong odor of alcohol escaping from his mouth.

Thunder cracked just outside the house. Causing the man to forget his words.

"Love? You don't know love!" The drunken man spat back.

Tears were now continuously flowing from my eyes. I know love, it was he who didn't. I just sat in the corner as this man continued to lean over me. I held my legs tighter against my body. I buried my head in my knees hoping this would stop him from hurting me.

"Are you listening girl?" He grabbed me by the hair and knelt down in front of me pulling my head up to look at him.

"I am your father! You should be grateful that I gave your sorry ass a life!" He released the handful of hair in his hand and stood back up. I continued to sob with no end. Just like the sky had been doing.

He took a step back and focused on me. He was waiting for me to do something. I sniffled and he stepped back towards me almost stumbling over his own feet.

"I'll give you something to cry about," he said unsteadily rushing over towards me and grabbing my arm firmly.

I tried to resist his effort to remove me from that corner. He pulled until my body finally went weak and his strength threw me across the floor. My face hit the cold hard wooden floor and I couldn't believe this was happening again but this time it was worse.

I told him something that he definitely didn't want to hear. I loved someone else and not him. He didn't want me too ever leave. He wanted me to stay in this damn house preparing his meals, running errands, and making some money for him. All while he went out and barely worked, always getting drunk. This all started after mom died a few years ago. It was progressively getting worse.

I heard footsteps coming towards me and I turned to look at him. He kicked me in the side causing me to wince. He kicked me a few more times until I stopped responding the way he wanted me too.

A quick bright flash lit the house up followed by a roaring thundering noise. It sounded like it had hit something close. If I was going to escape it was going to be right now. He turned his back for one quick second and I bolted towards the door with all the adrenaline I had left.

"Where do you think you going? That no good boyfriend isn't going to do you any good." He laughed wickedly.

I reached out for the doorknob in a hurry. At least if I made it outside in the dark he wouldn't be able to find me. Being out in that storm would be better than in here. I got the door ajar and then all the dark scenery disappeared. He stood in front of the door and grabbed me by the arm. He slapped me twice across the face.

"All you have to do is be a good little girl." His hold on my arm was tightening.

"I'm not a little girl, I'm eighteen," I said grinding my teeth at his poor choice of words.

He shook me wildly. "Are you insane? You'll always be a little girl."

He beat me some more. My lip started to bleed after one of the devastating blows. I was scared when he wouldn't stop. He had no mercy no matter how many times I told him to stop. I could feel my skin start to develop bruises and welts.

I struggled to get out of his grasp. I shoved him back knowing that drunks couldn't hold their balance. And lucky enough he fell back hitting his head on the door releasing my arm. He was out cold from the alcohol and the fall.

I hurried off to my room to grab a bag that I had already packed. It contained a few hundred dollars that I had saved from working two jobs. It took me forever just to save so much because he was always asking for money. I had worked everyday even on weekends so I could leave this horrid place. I had some clothes packed with some other necessities.

I couldn't go back downstairs in fear that he might be waiting for me. Opening my window quietly, I climbed down onto the slippery lower roof and jumped to the ground. It would be a matter of seconds before I was drenched but I didn't care as long as I was out of that house.

I began my walk to Ivan's place. The plan was to meet halfway between his house and mine, at a big old tree. The tree was about two miles from my house. We were in the country so it was one of the only trees.

I was only walking for a few minutes when I saw headlights heading towards me. As the car got closer I realized it was Ivan's mustang. His dad had left him the car when he died. Ivan had no family to go home to which made this runaway decision so much easier for the both of us.

I took the bag off my shoulder and dropped it on the ground as his car came to a stop. He jumped out of his car and raced over to me. The rain didn't seem to bother him either.

"I was worried! You didn't show up on time, I waited a little while and then decided to see if everything was fine." He hugged me and I collapsed in his arms. "Are you ok?"

I dug my head into the crook of his neck and replied, "Yes, now I am."

Ivan stepped back and placed one hand gently on my bruised face. Even though it was dark out he could see the bruises.

"Good thing you got out while you could." He managed a small reassuring smile.

He now held my hands in his. I looked at him relieved that he was my escape.

"Grace, I love you."

"I love you too, Ivan"

We leaned in for a kiss and his lips touched mine. I knew that nothing would ever come between Ivan and I.

He broke the kiss. "Shall we?" He asked walking over to the passenger side and opening my door.

I threw my bag in the car and sat down in the seat. He ran to the driver's side and leaped into his seat. He revved the engine and shot me a smile. "Ready?"

I shook my head and he put his car in gear. We drove off only following a straight abandoned highway. The moist air was refreshing blowing across my face. Or maybe it was just freedom.

Ivan reached over for my hand, which was in my lap. He interlaced his fingers with mine. I glanced over at him and grinned, as he did the same. He was so adorable with his wet hair clinging to his face.

I was actually going to be able to start a new life with the one person I loved. We just had to get as far away from this place as possible. Ivan kept driving on the empty road. Every second that passed I felt better about the situation.

The rain bounced off the windshield and the thunder cracked after the lightening struck. The storm was now behind us. We were heading towards clearer skies.

The only thing I really wanted was to be with Ivan. We could have drove for hours, days, months, or years as long as Ivan was with me.

It's just us, abandoned highway's, and dreams from here on out.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the second one-shot I have written. So I will post my first one-shot soon, since it is not saved on this computer.

Thank You for reading! =D