Where's the Heart?

Midnight Snack

I woke up at midnight because of a shift in the mattress. I turned over and saw Edwin lying there awake and staring at the ceiling.

"Edwin?" I mumbled and he glanced over.

"What?" he asked softly.

"Why are you up?" I asked and he chuckled softly.

"I don't sleep, Jade. Vampires don't do that. Now why are you up? Don't you have work?"

"Yeah. I don't want to go, but I have to keep a steady income. So no coffins for you, huh?"

"Too stiff. The nails always jab me in the side," he joked.

"Sure, make fun of me. It's not every day you talk to a vampire."

"For you it is," he pointed out.

"Still not used to it, Eds. Well, listen, sorry about falling asleep earlier. It might have been awkward for you, I guess."

"It's fine. You're easier to handle when you're asleep," he teased.

"Well then!" I stood up quickly and he shot up in bed. I blushed like mad: he had no shirt on.

"Where are you off to?" he asked, running a hand through his now tousled hair.

"Getting some water. Would you like some, master?" I curtsied and laughed.

"No, thank you, human slave. But I would like some red wine, if you get my drift. It is technically tomorrow now."

I got my water and crawled back into bed. He lay on top of me and laughed as my face turned hot pink. He dipped his fangs into my neck and before I knew it I was out cold again.

Real mature, Edwin!