Where's the Heart?

So Close!

After a few weeks all the physical damage was gone. I had been fired from work for not showing up in so long, but at least Edwin wasn't very mad and didn't yell at me during that time. So all I needed to do to keep Eds nice and calm was make a few trips to the hospital every now and then! But no, I hated remembering how bad off he was. I couldn't make him go through that again.

So there I was, sitting at the table and eating some Frosted Flakes whilst Edwin watched me extremely carefully for the hundredth day in a row. He had some trust issues. I put my spoon down and pushed the bowl away, looking up to Eds.

"Honestly, I'm not going to do anything bad like that during breakfast. You can blink at least once, you know?" He just kept on staring and I sighed. "Edwin? Earth to vamp-boy!"

"Jade, just finish eating already."

"I'm done. I'm done eating and I'm done with you staring. It's creepy!"

I stood up and walked into the living room slowly with Ed trailing behind. Honestly, he needed to do something other than follow me around all day. I sat down on the couch and Edwin was beside me in an instant. Quicker even.

"You haven't left to go suck some poor soul dry in a while, Eddy. That can't be good for you," I told him, turning on the television with my trusty remote; my true love.

"I've been sneaking out while you're sleeping. And don't forget I have you to last me."

"Until you slip up and kill me. I can't believe you've put up with me for so long." It had been awhile, hadn't it? There had to be some law about a guy living with you when you weren't even friends. Wasn't it like a hostage situation or something? Well, I guess not considering I wasn't trying to get away. Not on Ed's life.

"I don't think I'm capable of slipping up, Jade. It is virtually impossible for me to make any kind of mistake. I'm so very perfect, you know," he told me, stealing the remote and changing the channel.

"I'm sure even you have made mistakes sometimes. You were human at one time." I took the remote back and changed the channel yet again.

"That was a long time ago, Jade," he informed me, yanking the control from my grasp and surfing through the channels.

"So? I bet you made a ton of mistakes then." The remote was mine.

"Not as many as you." He seized it back.

"Bet you made more." Mine again.

"I doubt that." His.

"Bet so!" Mine.

"No." His.

"Give it back!"

"Not on your life."

I lunged at him, but he merely countered and I found myself pinned to the floor. I growled and flipped us over, smirking down at him before he overtook me.

"Meow," he commented dryly. I squirmed, trying to reclaim my spot on top.

"Get over yourself!" I demanded, managing to flip us over again. "Ha! I win." He somehow flipped us again and opened his mouth to speak, but...

Everything happened so fast. Something knocked over a vase in the kitchen as glass shattered to the floor. I jumped in my skin, startled, and grabbed the material of Edwin's shirt to pull him closer--you know, to feel secure. Instinct of humans. He turned back to me, misjudging how close I was.

And I swear he was so close then: his face nearly centimeters from mine. My heart pounded in my chest as he stared at me, eyes wider than usual. I knew what I wanted. I knew I wanted it sooo bad. And I was going to take the chance.

"Edwin?"

Okay, who was that?