Where's the Heart?

Awkardly Bittersweet

Jade's P.O.V.

We stood there for what seemed like forever. I was just staring at him and he was just staring at me. I smiled nervously. Had I done something wrong?

"Edwin?" I whispered. "Did I do something bad?"

"Of course not, Jade. If you had, I would be yelling," he offered with a small smile.

"That's good. So...ready to go to bed?" I asked. It was midnight after all and this was fairly awkward. Who am I kidding? It was the most awkward situation I had ever been in! As much as I liked being near him, it was getting creepy.

"So now you're the one trying to have your way with me?" he asked, innocent as an angel. I laughed.

"It only works for me, Eds. I'm just that sexy," I whispered, trying to be seductive.

"Oh, right. Sorry, I thought I was the flawless vampire, not you," he muttered, following me as I walked to my bed.

"I don't have to be a vampire to be irresistible, Edwin. I'm the best looking human alive!" I sang, getting snug under the covers.

"And I'm the most gorgeous vampire on Earth, so what does that mean?"

"The poor townspeople don't get either of us!" I joked, laughing. He smiled and lay down beside me.

"We're just too irresistible for them to keep their hands off," he told me, a whisper in my ear. I fell asleep quickly.

Unfortunately I woke up a few hours later. And for no reason really. I yawned, wondering how I was going to get back to sleep. But then I realized something: there was something cold wrapped around me and pressed on my back. I turned around carefully and saw Edwin sleeping peacefully. I blushed like mad.

He was holding me...

That had to have been the best way to wake up. I smiled and got settled closer to him. He shifted and I watched as his eyes fluttered open. I stared wide eyed at him, not sure what to do.

"Sorry," he muttered, half-asleep. He backed away and without thinking I reaching out to him, trying to get him back.

"It's okay," I said quietly, disappointed. He smirked.

"Well, if you insist, Jade..."

"I'm just so desperate," I confided sarcastically as he inched back to me.

"All humans are," he told me, laughing musically. I rolled my eyes and got comfy again in his arms. Should I tell him? I didn't know if I could.

"Well...vampires are perfect so there!" Lame comeback, but he didn't make fun of me thankfully.

"Hey, Jade..." he started, softly.

"What?" Oh please don't crush me.

"There's been something I've been thinking about. A lot. And I wanted to know if you'd let me do it."

"Sure. What?"

He smiled--kind of--before leaning in. How many times had he done that? He'd pull away and say "haha". I sighed, but jumped in my skin as soon as his lips touched mine. Oh my God...

It was perfect. Everything about him was perfect after all. The only think funked up about it was when he nipped at my lip, drawing blood. That ruined the mood.

"Bittersweet," I commented dryly and he smiled absurdly.

"Just like you," he smiled, his face in my hair. I fell asleep easily in the cold embrace.