Where's the Heart?

Lack of Anything Better to Do

It was the weekend yet again. Funny, I had always been the one to think life would work itself out. Yet now my life was being royally screwed up by vampire boy. I guess I had lost any hope of him leaving considering he had been hanging around for a month. A month of pure torture.

I wonder what my friends would say if I told them my roomie only hung around because he was a bloodthirsty vampire who only stayed around because I was a walking meal for him?

Okay, an easy enough question. I would send myself to a mental hospital, too.

I was rummaging through the house, looking for numbers. I swear this house ate anything I was looking for. Well, that or I was just scatterbrained. But the killer house idea was better. Besides, that'd just make two killer things I had to live with.

I was about to ransack the place when I finally found what I was looking for under the couch. It was a little square of white paper that I always wrote my friends numbers on in high school. I hadn't had much time for friends lately though and we all drifted apart. Well, at least apart from me.

Oh well, it was just another broken promise. I never said I was a girl of my word. Besides, I guess not even friends can hang around forever.

Anyways, I put the numbers in my phone so I wouldn't have to look all over for my list again. I had nothing better to do today, so I planned on having a friend over to chill with.

But then again, maybe I shouldn't what with the whole bloodsucker-in-my-house situation. No, what was I saying? I was not going to let him interfere with my life anymore that he already was. He wouldn't ruin my friend life too. He already stole my love life so that was all I had left, other than work anyway.

So who was coming over? I decided against any guys even though the majority of my friends were guys. Pretty good looking ones too. But despite that, I would rather not have to watch a skittish boy shifting from foot to foot all day. No, that would just be annoying. So I'd have to have over one of my few girlfriends.

There was only one name that came to mind in a split second:

Quinn.

We had been nearly inseparable in high school and had done virtually everything together. And people always knew that where one of us was, the other was, too. Thinking back, it was kind of pathetic how I blew off even a date just to hang with her. But at the time she was more important than some boy who would probably decide later that it wasn't working out.

"What are you doing?" Edwin asked as I sat on the couch riffling through my contacts. Why did he have to get all up in my business all the time?

"If you must know, I'm having a friend over." He was not worth the breaths I used to form my words. Hell, he wasn't even worth a single syllable.

"Really now? I'm assuming you're not stupid enough to have any guys over here."

"Hmm, and I'm assuming you don't have a death wish from assuming that I'm stupid. It's ringing so just shut up," I muttered. Maybe my logic was a bit iffy. Still, the look on his face was priceless. He didn't seem to believe that I had been so disrespectful to my lordship. Ha, that's right. I just told you to shut your mouth. Ooooo, what now, boy!

"I don't have time for this," he uttered, leaving the room.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Quinny!" I screamed and I could've sworn I heard a thud on the other side of the line.

"Umm, who is this?"

"Sorry. Jade." I waited for the light to come on over there.

"Oh! Hi, Jade!" Houston, we have lighting.

"Hey, so you wanna chill today?" I asked, getting to the point. Now if it had been back in school, we would have talked for hours.

"Sure. I got nothing better to do. You still live at that house by the Java?"

"Yep. The parents died a while ago so it's mine." I decided to not say "all mine" considering Edwin practically lived with me.

"Alright. Then I'll be over in a bit."

"Right. See you then. Later."

Now as for Edwin; we had a few ground rules to set.