Draco Malfoy's Dirty Little Secret

Vault 457

EVELYN'S P.O.V.

When we reached vault 457 we got out of the cart. The goblin waddled over to the large, door and fumbled through his keys. He finally found the one he was looking for. It was the smallest key of the bunch and appeared to be brass, not gold. He put it into the lock and twisted. A large click was heard.

"Mr. Malfoy, I will need you assistance from here," he croaked out.

Draco nodded and left my side. He walked up to the door and stood in front of the large wheel in the center of it. He grasped it with both hands and turned it three times to the right, then two back to the left, then he pushed it in and it melted into the door itself.

I stood there in awe. In all my times at Gringotts, I'd never seen such a contraption. The door swung open with a long hiss. Behind it was a large webbing of live boa constrictors. I jumped back. Despite being a Slytherin, I was absolutely terrified of snakes; except for Nagini, of course.

Draco shocked me, yet again. He spoke some words in what appeared to be a broken, weak Parseltongue. The snakes then slithered back into the walls and turned to stone.

"Come on, Evie," Draco whispered while holding out his hand.

"Oh hell no! I hate snakes!"

"Love, they're stone. They won't hurt you, or even move at all," he insisted.

I reluctantly took Draco's hand. He led me through a maze in which he said quite a few more passwords in languages I had never heard. Finally, we reached a doorway.

"This is it!" the tiny goblin proclaimed. He then took out his pocket watch and said a spell whilst tapping it. It transformed into a long, slender, silver key. He placed the key inside the lock on the door and turned it counter clockwise three times. With a creak the door opened to reveal its contents.

There were four separate, but open chambers inside the final vault. One was filled with papers and books, the second with jewels and family heirlooms, the third with the most wizarding money I'd ever seen, and the last with a monumentous amount of muggle money. That was the most shocking to me, as the Malfoy's detested everything about muggles.

In the center of this large vault was a podium with three items on it. The first was a small, black velvet bag. The second was a vial filled with a murky blue potion. The last was a heart shaped locket on a long silver chain.

"Stay by the door," Draco ordered me, "Don't touch anything."

I did as I was told. I watched him as he took the black velvet bag and he and the goblin quickly filled it with all the jewels, wizarding, and muggle money. It must have been enchanted to fit a large amount of things while staying small and light, for Draco placed it around his neck. Next, Draco rummaged through the old books and papers until he found what he needed. The four books were beaten and worn, the covers were barely attached. However, I was able to read the titles quite clearly.

A Guide to Mastering the Dark Arts
Protective and Concealment Charms
Healing Rituals for the Gravest Wounds
Disappearing From the Wizarding World

"Draco, what do we need those for?" I asked.

"They're just in case we have an emergency. We need to read them so we know how to protect ourselves and stay safe," he replied quickly.

He then grabbed the murky, blue vial off of the podium and placed it in the bag. Next, he took the locket and brought it over to me. He opened it and a small quill came out. As he spoke, it jotted down everything he said inside the locket.

"Evelyn Delilah Zabini, complete protection, Draconium Lucius Malfoy," he whispered. When he was finished, the quill dissolved.

"Draco, what's this for?" I asked as he placed it around my neck.

"It's a locket that was designed centuries ago for my great-great-great, well you get the point, grandmother. However, she never used it, so it doesn't have an owner. Well it didn't until now at least. It will only open for one of us, inside it are all your deepest secrets, some which lie in your subconscious and even you don't know yet. As long as you're wearing it, no one who means you harm can touch you or cast any spell on you."

"Thanks," I whispered.

"I promised to protect you didn't I?"

"Well yeah. What about the vial and the bag?"

"The bag is enchanted to hold as much as I need it to without becoming big or heavy. If worse comes to worse you can even hide humans in there. It can only be opened by the owner and the person they love most in the world. In short, me or you."

I nodded to show my understanding.

"The vial is special. REALLY, REALLY special. It's the only one of it's kind, no one knows about it but my family. Not even Dumbledore."

"What does it do?"

"Do you remember how at Cedric Diggory's funeral Dumbledore made a comment about how no one can be brought back from the dead, even those who really deserve life? Well, this potion does just that. One drop in a deceased person's mouth and they come springing back to life. There's a whole vial full, so we should be covered for a LONG time."

"You don't really think we'll need all of this, do you?" I asked. I was trembling with fear. He was so prepared, yet the more precautions he showed me, the more I began to fear for my life.

"Better safe than sorry," he whispered, "Now come on, we're done here."

The goblin followed us out, relocking the door. At the same points as before, Draco said passwords to reseal the doorways. When we got to the beginning, where the snakes were, I ran out of the vault and sat down in the cart. Draco laughed at my immaturity, but said the password and the snakes reappeared, entangling themselves to seal off entry. He then twisted the wheel to and fro. After it was set in place, the goblin relocked the vault.

Draco and the goblin climbed back into the cart with me. Draco took my hand in his. I rested my head on his shoulder as we zoomed back towards the main vault room. I was exhausted. After all, I was running on a few hours of sleep and my adrenaline was starting to wear off.

When we reached the main vault, we stepped out of the cart. The goblin set the key ring back in the drawer he got it from.

"Thank you for your business, Mr. Malfoy. Is that all I can do for you today?"

"Actually, I was hoping you could sign a discretion order for me. I don't want anyone knowing of my visit here today, not even the other Malfoys or Mr. Riddle. Is that clear?"

"Awh, but of course," the goblin smiled mischievously, "I understand discretion perfectly well."

He and Draco wrote up a contract. After Draco had checked it for any possible loop holes, they both signed it.

"Now, I think it would be best for me to escort you out the main entrance. It's already nine o'clock in the morning and business hours have long begun."

Draco agreed that would be best. We followed the goblin up a different staircase. We surfaced in the back of the main reception hall at Gringotts.

"There you are. Have a pleasant day, and do come again," he beckoned as he trotted off to assume his regular duties.

We walked hand in hand to the entrance of the bank. When we got there, a goblin gave us our Firebolts, which he had been storing for us. Draco tipped him graciously and placed them in the velvet bag. We then left the bank.

I couldn't believe what had just happened. We were officially carrying more money than I'd ever even dreamed existed. Not to mention, received valet broom parking. Being a Malfoy definitely had its perks. However, I doubt that Draco would be treated to them for much longer. After all, what we had done was considered treason in Lucius' book. It was only a matter of time before the entire Dark Forces were out for our blood.
♠ ♠ ♠
I shall post part B immediately...
Comments are lovely!
XoXo Kate