Draco Malfoy's Dirty Little Secret

Muggle Flying Contraptions

EVELYN'S P.O.V.

Draco and I stashed our brooms and traveling cloaks in the velvet bag. We then left Diagon Alley and went out into the muggle world. Surprisingly, that was his idea. He figured that we'd be safer acting as muggles; that no one would suspect such a thing of two outstandingly proud Purebloods.

When we were concealed in a mass of muggles on the sidewalk, he spoke.

"Okay, so we need a fast way to get to Australia. I can't Apparate us; they'll still have the Tracker on us because we're underage. So we'll reserve that for emergencies. I'll have to teach you. So what to do? If only we could fly," he added gazing at the sky, "But its way too clear out for that."

I nodded and looked at our surroundings. My first year at Hogwarts, my mother made me take Muggle Studies. She said it was like getting to know your enemies. That's when it hit me. Why didn't I think of it before?

"We can fly," I said in a dazed voice of realization.

"No, love, we can't. Even if we got up incredibly high we could still be spotted by anyone."

"Draco, how much muggle money do we have?" I asked.

He scoffed, "More than all of these filthy creatures combined." He gestured towards the insanely crowded sidewalk. "Why?"

I ignored his question and looked around. I laid my eyes on a nice looking woman pushing a stroller. She would surely be kind enough to help me. I walked over to her and smiled warmly.

"Excuse me, Ma'am. Could you point us in the direction of the nearest airport? We're from out of town and are a bit lost," I said gingerly.

"Oh sure," she said in her thick Irish accent, "Just follow this street to its end by that fancy boutique there. Then turn right and you should see the planes. You can't miss it."

"Thank you very much."

"Oh no problem, Dear."

As we walked away, I smiled. Go me and my slight muggle knowledge!

"Evie," Draco whispered, whilst taking my hand in his, "Where are we going?"

"Muggles have these flying contraptions called airplanes. They use them to travel long distances in a short amount of time. Don't worry they're completely safe," I added at his skeptical gaze.

"What if it breaks or crashes?" he asked nervously.

"Don't worry, if worse comes to worse we'll fly out the emergency exit on our Firebolts or apparate. Okay? It'll be fine."

Draco still seemed nervous, but I guess he decided to trust me because he didn't push the issue any further.

We arrived at the busy airport about an hour later. We fought our way through the hustle and bustle of the crowds to a reception desk. There was a tall man at the desk who looked slightly familiar to me. He had a long, pointed beard and sharp eyes like a hawk.
Hmm...well I couldn't possibly know him. He was a muggle afterall.

"How may I help you today?" he asked kindly.

"We need to purchase two first class tickets to Australia please. Your next flight out," I replied.

"Well, we don't fly straight there. You'll have to catch the connecting flight in India. Let me look," he typed a few things on this flat surface with letters all over it. The box in front of the letters made a beeping sound.

"I'm sorry," he said, "We don't have any open seats at all for the next few weeks."

I looked at Draco sadly. I was at a loss for what to do. We were so close to escape that I could nearly taste freedom. All our plans had gone up in smoke. Or so I thought. I had forgotten the language Draco spoke. Money.

"Look, mate," he said softly whilst leaning over the counter. He had a four inch high stack of muggle money in his hand. "I'm sure we can work SOMETHING out?"

The man smirked widely and took the money, placing it in his vest pocket.

"As a matter of fact, Mr.?"

"Riddle," Draco said slyly.

"Mr. Riddle," the man repeated, "I have two first class seats available for a flight to India which connects to Australia. It leaves in half an hour."

"We'll take it," I said instantly.

"Very well," he said. I heard a rather annoying screeching and buzzing sound, and two slender pieces of paper shot out of a slot. The man handed them to Draco.

"Now I'll need to see your passports before you head to your terminal."

Draco looked at me. I made an 'oh shit' face. So, on that cue, he handed the man another wad of muggle money.

"Very good, Mr. Riddle. These are more than authentic," he smiled. His teeth were yellow and crooked. "Terminal Seventeen then. Have a nice flight."

With that, Draco put his arm protectively around my waist and walked away from the counter rather swiftly. Too swiftly, for we missed the phone call he made as we left.

"They just bought a ticket to India, I think Evie nearly recognized me. I'm faxing you the information, Bella. Tell my niece hello when you see her."

It took us nearly fifteen minutes to find Terminal 17. We arrived just in time to board the plane.

"Has your luggage been checked?" a plump stuardess asked us whilst checking our pieces of paper. We learned they are called tickets.

"Yes, of course," I smiled graciously at her.

"Very well, have a lovely flight Mr. and Mrs. Riddle."

I had to resist a shudder at that. Of course Draco just had to use the Dark Lord's last name. Mrs. Riddle would have been my real name shortly, if Draco hadn't saved me.

We boarded the plane and made ourselves comfortable in first class. I could tell Draco was nervous; hell I was too. But as we took off, my exhaustion took over. I laid my head on Draco's shoulder and drifted into an alarmingly relaxed sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments, anyone?
XoXo Kate