Status: completed

Rebel Without a Cause Matt Sanders

The End?

I stared blankly. As I do a lot in school. My yawn came out loud and exaggerated.

Teacher: Melly...just amuse me today and atleast pretend to read.

Melly: what for I got all of detention to read.

It was the last class and right after detention. For the first time in a long time I was staying. Only because Jimmy had more important business else where. The bell rang and I made my way to detention.

Matt: Melly! Wait!

Melly: sorry Matthew. Can't got shit todo for Jimmy.

He caught up with me.

Matt: I just wanted to say thanks.

Melly: for what?

I didn't stop walking.

Matt: taking me to the concert.

Melly: whatever. No biggy. I always go to shows. One of the cool things about being me.

I stopped at my locker.

Matt: well thanks anyways.

I shrugged. I looked in my locker.

Matt: what are you doing for Jimmy? More business?

Melly: yeah. So bye. See you around the halls.

I shut my locker and walked off.

Matt: what are you doing today? I mean later.

I stopped, smiled, then looked at him.

Melly: why?

Matt: just...maybe...we could do something.

Melly: oh yeah? Like what?

I was amused by his subtlty. He wouldn't look me in the eye. He shrugged.

Melly: right...

I walked into detention. I smiled.

Danny: you're here too?

Johnny: sweet we got eye candy.

Zacky: hell yeah we do.

Melly: enough. I'm here strictly on business.

Zacky: why didn't Jimmy just let us handle it.

I laughed a little.

Melly: good one. Hey you, Linda.

A brown eyed brunette looked at me. I took a seat next to her.

Melly: here.

Her eyes sparkled a bit.

Linda: thanks. Tell. Rev its greatly appritciated.

I nodded. She handed me some cash.

Melly: he told me to tell you, to tell your friend, two fifty for everything.

She nodded. I moved on to another one of Jimmy's customers. A blond boy.

Melly: hey there Conners.

Conners: sup Melly Melly.

Melly: came to bring your shit. Don't worry Rev told me you already paid half.

Conners: alright cool. So here's the other half.

I gave a nod and moved on to Jimmy's final client. Some random dude. I took a seat next to him. As you can tell detention isn't that hardcore here. The reason being is that most detentions held atleast two of my boys. This was the time most of them got some school work done. They arn't stupid, just lazy. Moving on...Jimmy's client looked at me. A smile playing across his face.

Melly: you got the money Paul?

Paul: so you know my name.

Melly: yes.

Paul: I suppose Rev told you.

I nodded.

Melly: you got the cash? I'm not allowed to give you shit until I've counted out the money.

Paul: hmm...so Rev told you about my attempt to not pay.

I laughed a little.

Melly: yeah, nice try. Like you can hide from him.

He laughed a little too.

Paul: I actually thought I could is the sad part.

Melly: seriously. Rev knows everyone to know, when someones trying to play him.

He nodded and pulled out some bills. I counted quietly.

Melly: five hundred even. Lovely. Here you are my dear.

I handed him a bag Jimmy had given me. What was in it, I have no idea. Nor did I care. Sometimes I wondered where these kids got their money. But would soon forget, seeing as how their cash flow was of no importance to me. I only cared about getting the money to Jimmy.

Paul: another thing before you take your seat Melly.

Melly: yes sweetheart?

Paul: I'm having a party.

Melly: and?

Paul: on Friday and Saturday night.

I looked at him interested.

Melly: what do you need?

Paul: two things. First booze.

Melly: I will let Rev know. Second?

Paul: your boys to play at my party.

My lips curled into a smile.

Melly: ahh, now that's my business.

He nodded leaning back in his chair.

Paul: let your boys know, money is no issue.

Melly: lovely.

Paul: it usually isn't. Except that one time.

Melly: I will then. Now is this for tomorrow Friday?

He nodded. I stood.

Melly: then I will get back to you. I'll send someone later to get things situated.

Paul: sounds good.

We shook hands. I headed for the door.

Zacky: where are you going?

Melly: I've got shit to take care of.

I bent down and let my lips linger on his. My hand slipping into his hoodie pocket for his keys.

Zacky: mmmmm...

I pulled away and walked up to the teacher. She looked at me.

Melly: I'll be here next time.

Then walked out the door. I raced to the house. Jimmy sat cross legged on the couch reading.

Melly: Jimmy, Paul needs booze for a two day party.

Jimmy looked up at me. His eyes glinting with excitment. To hustle is his fun. I handed him his cash.

Jimmy: for when?

Melly: tomorrow.

He smiled. Challenge. The best part of any of his hustles.

Jimmy: how much is he putting up.

I smiled.

Melly: his exact words were money is no issue.

His smiled grew wide.

Jimmy: the offers you get for me.

Melly: what can I say I love to take care of my boys. Is Brian home?

Jimmy: yes. In the kitchen.

I made my way to the kitchen.

Melly: hey you guys got a show tomorrow.

I said unbothered by the fact he and Jenn were in the middle of very heavy make out.

Brian: what?

He said breathlessly.

Melly: for fucks sake please pay attention. You and the guys have a show tomorrow. So you best get Matthew on the wagon. Now.

Brian: shit.

Jenn: wait that's your job.

Melly: was until this came up. Plus I've done all I can. He clearly doesn't want me enough to be a part of this. Its up to Brian. So I suggest you go to his house now.

Brian stared hard at the ground. Clearly thinking. He gave Jenn a peck.

Brian: you're coming.

He pulled me with him.

Melly: here Jimmy.

I tossed him Zacky's keys. The drive to Matt's was quick. His mother was more than willing to let us in.

Mrs.S: wait right here I'll go get him.

I looked at Brian.

Brian: what?

Melly: what's the plan? Why did I have to be here.

Brian: because, if you have to suck his dick to convince him then so be it.

I glared.

Melly: I thought he wasn't that important that we could get someone else.

Brian: you know that's not true. He's it and you know that. You've been in this as long as I have. You know what it takes to be us.

I gave a small nod.

Matt: what are you two doing here?

Melly: that's no way to talk to your friends.

Brian sat silent. Arms crossed.

Matt: I thought you had detention... nevermind I should no better. What do you want?

I glanced at Brian. He gave me a look.

Melly: the thing is you know what we want. We just don't know why you don't want it.

Matt: who said I didn't?

Melly: you haven't said yes.

Matt: that doesn't mean no.

Melly: doesn't mean yes.

Matt: I thought you were moving on.

Melly: I managed to convince Brian to come down here and ask you himself.

Brian: we've given you a taste. We've let you experience what we live everyday. I understand how crazy some of it must seem. Its not everyday highschool kids live on their own without their parents.

Melly: or a girl like me keeps three boys perfectly happy. That we're some kind of sick perverse family.

Brian: we know how you don't fit in with the jocks, or the smart kids, the cheerleaders arn't your thing,

Melly: you hate the class clowns, and you're no idiot.

Brian: cause we are the same. You don't have to do anything you don't want to.

Melly: you don't have to be anyone you don't want to be.

Matt: so what then?

Brian: this is it Matt. This is when I ask you one last time. This is when a final desicion is made. Once you give us an answer its done. All that's been going on will make more sense. You'll be using your talent instead of wasting it. So I will ask you, do you want to be a part of this? Do you want in on this life?

Matt's eyes wandered to me. They scanned over my entire body. His brows furrowed and his lips twisted in thought. He took a few steps to his left and then to the right.

Brian: we need an answer now. There's no more time for this bullshit.

Matt's hand went to his chin as he thought for a moment longer. I waited in anticipation. Then his face broke into a small smile.

Matt: if that's how you feel then I guess its going to have to be....