Status: Active, I swear!

Little Red Cinderella and the Three Beanstalks

A Once Apon A Time and an Earthquake

Previously...

"So, you want to know my story, do you?" He asked finally. I nodded. "You’re the first person to be interested in my story," he said, sounding almost amused. "Well, too bad." He went on, firmly. "You can't hear my story. That is, not until I have heard yours."

I slumped in disappointment. Ezu rolled his eyes.

"But, I will tell you part of it. The part about how I happened to acquire this home."

"Alright then," I said with a content grin plastered on my face.

Ezu fell silent again, only this time he seemed to be collecting his thoughts. Then he cleared his throat.

"Well," he began, "My story begins on the day I turned 16, the day I became a man, and left home for the first time..."
*********************************************************************************

Image
It was the day of the farmer’s son’s 16th birthday.

When a boy turns 16, he makes the transition from a child, to an adult, a boy to a man. It is also the day he leaves his parents house, and go make himself his own life.

The farmer’s son lived with his father, who was a tall, proud man who was virtuous and hard working. His mother was a fair haired beauty, lovelier than any other lady in the kingdom, and known far and wide for her kindness and generosity. His child sister, younger than he by many years, was as sweet as the meadow lark’s song, and as innocent as the fresh dew on the briar roses in the morning, with golden ringlets and round rosy cheeks. The family was poor, but were content.

Though for their means they lived a good life, the farmer’s son wanted more. He wanted to make a name for himself in the city, and come back home rich, and bring pride to his family. So he had been waiting for the day of his sixteenth birthday his whole life.

When he awoke that morning, he was already packed and set to go. He was eager to begin his journey and start his new life. He collected his things, which consisted of a simple rucksack filled with bread and cheese to eat, a clean tunic, and a few shillings, and made his way out the door.

He turned to say goodbye to his parents one last time, and at that point, his dear mother burst into tears. She clasped him to her chest, and told him to go make his fortune, find a pretty girl to marry, and most of all, be happy.

Then his father came up to him, and clapped him on the back.

'Boy,' he said, with his usual gruffness, 'Today, you are a man. And there are things a man needs to know. First off, pick your fights wisely. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Second, women are sneaky devils. Watch out for them, or they can trick you into a commitment.' Here he winked at his loving wife. 'And lastly, whether you become a lawyer or a begger, you are always welcome back home, and me and your mother will greet you with open arms.' He patted his son’s head, then put something into his hands.

'Son, these were given to us by my father, and they were given to him by his father. Now I'm giving them to you.' The farmer’s son opened his hands to find two silver lockets in them, his parents lockets. 'I gave this to your mother when I knew I was in love with her, and I expect you to do the same when you find your girl.' His father told him.

He then gave his son a little push down the walk way, and putting his arm around his, who was still crying, they waved their son off, as he walked into his future.

The farmer’s son walked all day and much of the night. When he became too wary to go any further, he stopped in a clearing and lied down, resting his head on his rucksack. He slept soundly, and did not awaken as someone approached him as he slumbered. It wasn't until he was plagued with a nightmare that he awoke, slick with sweat, his heart pounding in fear.

As he looked at his surroundings, trying to shake off the remainder of the dream, he noticed an old hag sitting not twenty paces from where he lay, on a rotted old stump.

At first he leaped to my feet to defend himself, but then he realized it was just and old woman, and could do him no harm.

'Old woman, why is it you watch over me as I sleep?' He asked of her.

'I did not wish to wake you,' She said, with a voice as dry and cracked as sand, 'For a young man like you needs his rest to stay healthy and strong.' As she spoke, he noticed she was shroud in naught but a thin black cloak. The night was cold, and was not yet over, and he feared she may freeze before the sun's warming rays rose over the tree tops.

'Come here old woman, take my good tunic as a blanket, you will catch your death if you remain like that.' She stood up heavily and hobbled over to him. He helped her to the ground, and he draped his extra tunic over her shoulders.

'Are you hungry? I have bread and cheese, if you wish.' He gave her the last of his food, for he had finished the rest long ago. 'You can sleep here, if you have no where else to go. I will watch over you, and make sure no animals bother your sleep.' He offered.

So he spent the night diligently guarding over the woman, wondering why one such as herself would be alone in the woods at such an hour. When she awoke the next morning, she wordlessly stood to leave.

'Wait!' He said. He handed her a tall, thick branch he had found the night before. 'I noticed you walked with a limp,so I brought you this. A walking stick.' She gratefully took it from him, still not saying a word.

He then pressed all of his precious shillings into her gnarled old hand, and said, 'You need these more than I do. I am young, and can find good work that pays well in the city, but you are old, and cannot. So take these, and be on your way.' At this the old woman grinned a toothless grin at him, and grabbed his hands with both of hers.

'Child,' She said, her voice no longer old and cracked, but young and sweet. 'You are pure of heart, and strong of mind. You have selflessly helped an old woman in need, without wishes of compensation. I am no mere old woman, but a powerful sorceress.' At this, she threw off her disguise, and before the farmer’s son stood the most beautiful lady in all the land.

'For your good deed, I will reward you handsomely.' She waved her slender, pale arm, and an entire house sprung up from the ground in the clearing.

'This house is no ordinary one,' She explained, 'Inside, there is a door on the farthest wall. If you knocked on the door, different rooms will appear beyond, as many as you will ever need. This is for the blanket you gave me. Beside the door you will find a magic stove, a large iron one, that will never burn out, and needs no stroking of feeding. This if for the food you gave me. On top of the stove, you will find a bow and a quiver full of arrows. These are enchanted arrows, and if you use them with courage and strength, you will never miss your mark. This is for the money you gave me.'

And with her sweet words still lingering in the air, she vanished from the spot, leaving him alone with his new fortune.
Image

"... Wow... did all that really happen?" I asked, wide eyed, staring with rapture at Ezu. Ezu got a cross look on his previously serene face.

"What, do you think I made all that up?" He asked defiantly. I went red, and hastily corrected myself.

"No, no no no! I didn't mean it like that, it's just it was all so... magical, straight out of a fairy tale, you know?" I explained. Ezu's cross look was replaced with a confused one.

"Straight out of a what?" He asked. "A fairy tail? Fairies have tails? Since when? And why would that story come out of one?" I had to force back a laugh, but managed to keep a straight face.

"No, not a fairy tail. My bad. It's just an expression." Ezu gave me a funny look, but seemed to shrug it off.

"So..." He said, eying me. "What about you? You’re definitely not from around here. What is your story?"

I glanced nervously at my backpack in my lap. Should I tell him? I trusted he wasn't a mad axe murderer by now, but would he even believe me? Though, from the sounds of it, stranger things had happened to Ezu himself...

I sighed, and fiddled with the zipper on my bag.

'Well, you see..." I began, but before I had even gotten the words out of my mouth, the entire room shook with such force that I was nearly thrown from my chair. "What the hell was that?" I shrieked at Ezu, as I scrambled to my feet.

Ezu didn't answer me, but instead jumped to his feet so suddenly his armchair was knocked backwards to the ground.

"Oh gods..." He muttered, hastily plowing through his sea of junk, among which the huge boom caused even more confusion and devastation.

"What? What was that?" I asked hurriedly, hastening to his side.

Ezu glanced at me, and underneath his forced calm and stony exterior, I saw what looked uncomfortably like panic in his eyes.

"Giants..." He whispered, grabbing my hand and pulling me off my feet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ha! Ezu's not so mysterious now, is he/ But don't worry, I've still got a few tricks up my sleeves for him...
Ok, I know this one is kinda short, but I like it. I was going for an old fashioned type-fairy tale feeling when Ezu told his story. I don't know If I achieved it or not...
Anyway, COMMENT! Or the comment monster will eat you!
Please? I feel so lonely... *sniff*
But really. i hope you like this chapter. Boring again, but oh well. Adios.
Image