A Student/Teacher Relationship

Bowling & Beer?! What a Combo!

My POV:

"Becky come on move your ass! We're late!" Katie layed on the horn in her mom's borrowed car. One of my few friends that had a license.

"Coming!" I ran down the steps of my house and got in her car.

"Finally. We were supposed to meet them 10 minutes ago."

"Sorry." I shrugged as she put the car in reverse, backed out, and we were off. In honor of Josh's birthday, a group of us decided to take him cosmic bowling (not my first choice but at least I'm out of the house).

15 minutes and 3 long dance mixes later, Katie and I walked through the sliding doors into the night club atmosphere of Streamwood Bowl. Crowded lanes of people were shrouded in the darkness. The black bulbs and brightly flashing rainbow strobe lights presented a modern masquerade ball of tempting possiblities. No costume needed except the mask of shadows and you can be or (if you're lucky) do whoever you want. Unconsciously, my body moved to the loud, unavoidable beats of the booming techno music.

"Do you see them?!" Katie yelled in my ear.

"Uhhh..." I scanned the alley. "Yeah over there." My eyes zeroed in on Nick's platnium blonde hair. Nick and I have yet to officially resolve our issues of him being nosey and I being a bitch. We're teenagers, it's sort of assumed for everything to be cool. No one wants more drama than they have to in their life, especially me. I think maybe in a sick way I'm slightly enjoying all of this. A flatliner was more exciting than my life.

"Happy birthday!" I snuck up behind Josh, giving him a hug and Katie following suit. Turning around his eyes lit up.

"Hi! Thanks. Did you guys just get here?"

"Her fault." Katie poked me. "She made us late."

"Excuse me, but there's a difference between being late and being prepared." They both looked at me like I was crazy.

"That-that doesn't make any sense!" She stuttered while Josh began to giggle.

"Well duh. That's the huge difference, because-"

"Shut up, just shut up." Her finger flew in front of my mouth. She grunted and rolled her eyes at my smiling face. "Whatever." She turned and walked towards concession.

"Where are you going?!" I called behind her.

Without turning back, she responded "Maybe if I pump myself full enough sugar, you'll start to make some sense."

"Oh ok bring me back some!" No matter how dark it is, I can still see her pale boney middle finger aiming right at me. "Love you too!"

"Josh it's your turn!" Andy threw a french fry at him, hitting Josh below his eye. My laughter at Josh's angry glare and having to wipe away a streak of grease was short lived when a whole handful flew in my hair.

"What the fuck?!" Picking oily fries off my head, I stomped over to Andy. "You're not supposed to hit me only the birthday boy!"

"Stop distracting him you temptress!" He whipped another at my chest. Hey that gives me an idea.

"Andy" I sat down on his lap. "Have you ever heard the term 'purple nurple'?" His face scrunched in thought for a few seconds until he shook his head. "Good then I'll show you." And in an instant my thumb and pointer finger pinched hard onto his nipple. I dug my thumb nail into his skin as he howled in pain and pushed me off him.

"Bitch!"

"Oh you know you like it."

"So?!" He sulked, rubbing his sore nipple.

This is great. I almost forgot how much fun a night out with the friends could be since I've spent most of my free time with Billie Joe. Rosie, Michelle, Dan, and Chris are also here but were mostly focusing on bowling. I guess you can call me the dumbass cheerleader, because I know I suck at bowling and if I tried tonight I would only get frustrated and not have a good time. So doing everything but bowling is a nice alternative.

"Can I talk to you real quick?" Nick tapped on my shoulder, interrupting my bad dancing.

"Sure what is it?"

"In private?" He motioned at the hall at the other end of the alley.

"Alright."

On our way there, I observed the people we passed. Groups of all ages seem to be here tonight except the drastically young and the excessively old. Sex enthused teenies grinding all over eachother (gross), families enjoying their Friday night out, drunken women having a bachelorette party were stealing kisses and receiving piggy back rides from various men, and others that don't need recognition. A rabid pack of guys yelling and hitting each other were throwing strikes. Go ahead and order yourself another miller and maybe- hey, I know her. Not stopping, my pace slowed. A woman older than me with dread locks, but not wrinkly, grey-haired old held my already divided attention. She has a suddle, mature beauty even if she is only wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. Man I would kill to look like that well minus the dreads. I know I've seen her before. She was laughing and talking with 2 younger boys most likely her sons. Where do I know her? This is going to bug me all night. Eh, must have seen her at the mall or somewhere else. Nick and I walked into the empty, lighted hall that led to the bathrooms and rows of lockers off to the side.

"So what's up?" I sat and crossed my legs on a bench amongst the lockers. Nick remained standing with his hands shoved deep into his pockets.

"How've ya been?"

"Fine I guess." Huh, I never gave the matter much thought. "You?"

"Good."

"What did you want to talk about?"

"I have some good news and some bad news, well technically both are bad but one worse than the other." He tried to force a grin.

"Maximum wise, bad like failed vocab quiz or bad like 'oh my god I forgot to wear a bra to school!'?"

"Try bad like you will want to castrate me, bad."

"Um ok we'll try this. Why don't you tell me the real bad news and if you still have your dick once you're done, go on with the rest."

"Sounds like a plan." Nick sucked in his lips and puckered them back out. Crap this is going to be actually bad. He hasn't done that since he told me his dad "accidentally" ran over my dog in the 6th grade. Dubey, you will me missed.

"So...?"

"Please don't hate me alright?"

"Nick would you just get on with it?"

"Ok sorry." He stared off at the party going on outside and I longing to be there. "You are so going to kill me." Nick cracked a smile and rubbed his face, briefly deforming it. Am I that scary?

"I would never. You're practically my best friend even though these past weeks have been..."

"Yeah I know." His fingers nervously tapped his leg in an undefinite beat. "Worse news first... Remember last year when you were trying to work things out with Ben?"

"Yeah?" The past emotions of me wanting nothing more than to be with Ben was sickening.

"And how suddenly Jen came into the picture?"

"Yep she popped out of nowhere."

"...It was me. It was my fault."

"What are you talking about?" I scooted to the edge of the bench, leaning forward to see Nick's downward turned face.

"I told Jen that Ben liked her and he was waiting for her to make a move."

"No you didn't. You're my friend. You were the first person to know how I felt about Ben." This has got to be a joke and if it is, I'm not laughing. "But that's only what you told her?"

"That...and I may have mentioned to Ben that Jen's dad owned a Mustang and $50 would be his if he chose Jen."

"You sonuvabitch." I muttered with a tightly balled fist. "Why?"

"Uh-" And without warning I saw Nick draw quickly towards me. His dry, chapped lips crash landing on the corner of my mouth.

"What the hell?! Get off me!" Pushing him off onto the ground, I stood up my back pressed against the lockers, wiping off the residue from his kiss. He stumbled to his feet looking scared and hurt.

"Becky I'm sorry let me explain-"

"No!" The fire of deceit surged through my veins, forcing me to see red. "Get the fuck out of my sight."

"But Becky-"

"Leave!" I stabbed at the air, wishing his head was in the way, at the exit. Losing the will to protest, Nick shuffled out into the darkness of the masquerade ball. This is the last straw. Giving into rage and adrenaline, I punched a locker creating a loud bang and hearing a small crack. For a split second, I was Ben.

"Whoa are you ok?" I jerked around to the voice that startled me out of my fit. The woman who tugged at my memory stood behind me with a concerned look.

"Yes I'm fine, thanks." My cheeks grew a deeper shade of red. Wow do I always seem like a complete lunatic?

"Oh my god, no you're not." She gasped, reaching for my aching hand, bleeding at the knuckles. I am such an idiot. "Come on." She took me by the arm and led me into the women's bathroom. Stopping me before a pale white sink, she placed my hand under the faucet and turned on the water. Ice cold stinging pain numbed my possibly broken hand. After a few moments of washing away crimson to a swollen dark pink, I withdrew. "Feel better?"

I nodded, "Thank you."

"If you don't mind me asking, what was that all about?"

"It's a long story." I reached for a paper towel and began to wipe my hand dry, trying to be careful.

"I'm here with my 2 boys who are embarrassed to be seen with their mother and a husband who is no doubt sitting at the bar. Trust me, I've got time." I grinned at her comeback, but still felt sorry for her predicament.

It's a very rare occassion for me to open up to anyone, but I don't know. Maybe what they say about confiding in a stranger is easier than a friend or something to that extent is true.

"Sure ok." So from there I told her with little specifics about what has been going on since that memorable day in September. She now knew of Billie Joe (but not much other information except that he was sort of a boyfriend and neglecting his name), the mistakes of Ben, and the betrayal of my former best friend Nick. She listened intently, not adding her own comments which is a blessing and with everything I was saying, I felt like I wasn't being judged.

"So to summarize, my ex went psycho on me just because I'm in love with a guy who's already in a different relationship, naturally dooming ours, and this all started because my so called friend paid off my ex to dump me so he could be with me. Life's peachy." For a moment she looked blown away looking for the hidden cameras to whatever tv show she was being pranked on. Once she determined there wasn't any small flashing red lights, she refocused.

"You're serious? I am so sorry."

"Don't be. It's no one else's fault but my own."

"And this all happened at once?"

"No they're all spread out over the past few weeks, but still too close for comfort."

"Damn I'm surprised you haven't lost your mind."

"Yeah, well...I think that's already happening." I smirked, waving my bruising fist in the air. "Question." I dropped my hand to my side. "I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything but why are you being so nice to me?"

"Well...Don't get weirded out or anything, but you kind of remind me of my husband."

"O.K." The one person I feel like I can truly talk to is a nut job. Fan-tas-tic.

"No, no, not like that. Ha, ha 'sure oh yeah I want to do you' no nothing like that." She laughed loudly. "Just something about you makes me think of him. How he used to be before he started drinking more and more." Her smile faded to a far off sigh.

"Beckers you in here?" I looked to the door at the voice I recognized as Katie's.

"Yeah I'll be there in a couple minutes and stop calling me that!"

"Ok hurry up. Everyone's been screaming for their favorite cheerleader!" The woman gave me a lost look.

"Don't ask." I whispered. "Don't worry I'll be right there!"

"K." The bathroom door squeaked shut.

"I have an idea." The woman's eyes lit up.

"What?"

"To prove to you I'm not some weirdo, why don't you come meet my husband and you can see for yourself."

"Ummm..."

"It'll only take a couple minutes, I swear."

"Sure." I shrugged and we both walked out back into the hall. Ever since I was little, I never really enjoyed having to meet new people but she's been so nice and well curiosity was strong. "Wait I don't even know your name."

"Oops, it's Adrienne, but you can call me Adie." She held out her hand, standing on ceremony in the midst of the partying.

"What?!" Billie Joe's Adrienne? Fuck I hope not.

"Just call me Adie. And yours?"

"B,Becky." I slid my hand into hers and shook it.

"Nice to meet you Becky." Please, please don't be her! I could be just paranoid and spazzing out for nothing. It's not like there is only one Adrienne in the world.

As we approached the lane her family was on, a spiraling sense of impending disaster piled layer after layer in my stomache reaching high into my throat about to spill out of my lips, giving away all my insecurities. We arrived to a deserted lane with half a game left labeled with the names, "Joey" and "Jake." Not good, not good at all.

"They must be in the arcade. Wait here, I'll go get the hubby." She walked off, disappearing within the heap of party goers. Turning to face the glowing blue pins, I wish this is only a very uncanny coincidence. Ya know this is a pretty big bowling alley and it is dark in here. If I sneak back to my friends, the chances of Adie finding me are quite slim. What to do, what to do...Get the hell out of here. Pivoting around to make my escape, I nearly jumped out of my skin.

"Becky this is my husband I was telling you about. Billie Joe." I stood there, gaping back and forth at my new friend, Adie supporting the slumped over, half coherent Billie Joe. "Billie this is Becky." He may be drunk, but he understood the basics of the situation.

"Hi." I made a small wave, not detouring my eyes from Billie Joe.

" 'Lo" He coughed and slightly struggled to keep his feet planted on the floor.

"See Bec don't you see it?" Adrienne pointed to Billie and I, oblivious to the awkwardness.

"Yeah it's so obvious." She's on crack or something. I don't see it at all but that's the least of my problems at the moment. I yawned, "Damn I am so tired. It's a pleasure meeting you both. Adie thank you for everything, but I have to be getting back to my friends."

"Are you sure? It's so early. Can't you stick around a little longer?"

"Sorry but I can't. I have plans tomorrow morning." I smiled and snuck a glare at Billie Joe because he invited me out, no duh, tomorrow morning.

"Fine." Adie looked disappointed.

"Bye, thank you." We gave eachother a hug and I dragged my feet to prolong seeing that bastard Nick. I could go straight and restrain myself from kicking the shit out him, or I could go right and let the shrill October air help me get my whirling thoughts in order.... Der, right-o.

Stepping outside, I drank in the night sucking it all in till my lungs reached full capacity and slowly released it. One of the cashiers, I assume on break, casually dropped his burnt, half pint cigarette to the ground and taking his shoe, smashed its contents into the pavement. He nodded at me and I to him, and sauntered back inside. Finally a few moments to myself...

"Helllooo Baaby!" Billie Joe stumbled out of the building with a beer in hand.

"Hey..."

"Adie say I scared you. Now I come apogize."

"Apogize? I don't know what's scarier, meeting and actually liking your wife or you being piss drunk."

"I'm not-" He burped. "drunk." 3 girls I think from my school emgered from the sea of cars putting me on the alert.

"Let's go over here." I took him by the arm and tried to walk him to the side wall of the alley providing sufficient seclusion.

"I get it!" He giggled, stomping along. Dragging him in good confidence, Billie Joe tripped over a crack in the side walk forcing me to break his fall. "Woopsy!"
He bursted out laughing as I pushed him to his feet. Dang he's heavy but then again I have no muscle mass. As soon as we turned the corner, Billie Joe slid his hands on my waist rotating me, my back against the wall.

"You're so hot." He huffed laying wet kisses on my neck. Mmmm...No stay on track.

"Billie Joe come on...Stop it." Smiling, I gently pushed him away getting a whif of the intoxicating stench corrupting his breath. "I gotta talk to you."

"Later." He pinned my hands over my head by the wrists and continued on which isn't at all bad but it was wrong.

"But Adie and your kids are just inside."

"Fuck 'em. I don't care."

"I do." I wiggled out of his grasp and stepped to the side. Like lightening, Billie Joe flashed from happy-go-lucky drunk to angry alcoholic.

"I said fuck 'em." He yanked my arm back to him. Ow.

"Don't you ever do that again."

"Oh now I see how it is. Ben can get some whenver he wants, but the moment I want to touch you it's 'no, no Billie I can't.'" It's amazing that once he's mad, his grammar miraculously improves.

"You know damn well what happened so don't you dare say it was at all my choice."

"Right." He tried to give a an obnoxious wink,but ended up closing both eyes.

"You're drunk. Billie you're not thinking straight."

"No, I'm being honest."

"I'm not going to stand here and listen to this." I turned to walk away.

"Yeah uh huh Becky run off like the cheap slut you are."

"Fuck off Billie."

"Maybe later with Adrienne, but the fact of the matter is that no one fucking wants you! Take Ben, he got what he wanted and fucking left. You're just a god damn puss."

Tears welled in my eyes. "Is that what you really think?"

"It is."

"Thank you Billie for being so honest. Now I know the opinion of the only person I love." My voice choked up. "Good night Billie."

I walked off into the parking lot, not daring to look back and inevitably collapsing between 2 small black cars where I would spend the next couple hours believing Billie Joe and realizing my lack of self worth.