A Student/Teacher Relationship

Owned.

No One's POV:

For days after they didn't speak to one another except Billie Joe who tried. Life went on as it did before, only now events in the past existed and emotional attachements remained. In fear of another Saturday night terror, Becky returned to Ben. She thought it would be risky to turn him down. He knew too much about her and Billie Joe's previous relationship, and perhaps the fact he blackmailed her didn't help either.

But little did she know, she still continued to be the other woman. Shame is more potent than guilt, so Becky kept everything a secret. Lying is her only talent and she hated it. No one's perfect, but she always thought of herself as a somewhat honest person. Kissed that goodbye awhile ago. Her and Jen were ignorant to the bullshit Ben was spoon feeding them. Maybe from the eyes of a pig, Ben had a decent plan. Jen is the rich jock and over achiever, and Becky is... Well no one is really quite sure what the hell Becky is. But the possibility of her and Jen crossing paths or their friends would be rare. It's a big school. Bastard gets the best of both worlds if you saw it like that.

It's another drawn out 5th period on a bright, mid October day and the growing rift between Billie Joe and his students was getting bigger. His reputation as a fun, kick ass, fucking hot teacher I'd like to bang doesn't matter boy or girl was slowly being replaced by still kinda cute, pain in the ass, scumbag jerk. He barely taught anything yet found the time to assign a ton of homework and reports, give out ridiculously difficult tests and quizzes with little interest of ever grading them. His excuse behind the workload was to prepare them for the ACTs and final exams, but the real reason why was Billie Joe now really enjoyed torturing his students. He wanted them to be just as pissed off and miserable as he was. Though he never would admit this to himself, it was an unspoken pleasure which would fill the void only so much.

There's about 5 minutes left of everyone's least favorite class so many were getting eager and antsy to leave.

"Sit your asses back down," Billie Joe commanded, holding a large stack of papers everyone instantly recognized as their latest essays they had to write about their views on the actions of our president since 9/11. One after the other, grumbles and angry whispers flew about the room from the poor grade they received and how big of an asshole their teacher is. Becky saw him make his way towards the end of the row, tripping over bags and purses people "accidentally" left in the way. Once he approached, she began to shuffle her hands in her book bag, looking for something that isn't there unless there's a freedom from Ben kept hidden in a pocket she overlooked.

In a brief interaction as harmless as returning a paper, a lot could be interpreted or misconstrued regarding their feelings towards eachother. Sadness, frustration, confusion, and for the stubborn romantic, hope. For a moment they were felt and soon broke away jagged leaving them both open to cut deeper next time. (If you were curious she got a B. Using past discussions with Billie Joe to her advantage, she labeled her essay, "George W. Bush: Bombs Away President Gas Man." An irrational, probably highly inappropriate title but hell she got a B.)

Pleased with her grade, she had no intention on negotiating her paper again with Billie Joe. She had traveled down that road once and couldn't have it happen again. Slipping it into a folder, she noticed an extra page attached to her essay. An arched brow and a pouted lip, she flipped to the mystery add. It was a note scribbled in blue ink.

It read, "Hi, it's me. How are you? Told you I wouldn't give up." She glanced up, pretending to push some hair out of her face, but checked on Billie Joe. Their eyes met, he was watching, and they both looked away in unison not before she saw the small grin that twitched at the corner of his mouth. She kept on reading, "I bet you just made some excuse to look up and gave me a weird look. Now afraid I'm going to predict your next move, you're going to restrain yourself from looking up again." He was right. That was exactly what she was doing. "I miss you so much. Please talk to me? I love you. We have to talk. Bye." It was signed "love Billie Joe." A smile spread across her face. She noticed a P.S. in the lower left hand side of the page. "P.S. Heartfelt title" The smile grew broader and for the first time in a week, it seemed possible that anything can happen and no matter what did happen, it would be ok.

The bell rang and the world and its troubles revamped themselves in her thoughts. While a heavy traffic jam inched out the door, she played with the idea of staying after and talking to Billie, but then she noticed Ben standing outside the door waiting for her. He had been doing this everyday after most of her classes keeping an eye on her no doubt. She is aware of this and knows that after everything, there isn't any trust. "Trust is a dirty word that comes from such a liar." She always thought to herself never to say to anyone else, because they probably wouldn't understand. Sometimes she wonders if it truly makes any sense to her.

Becky and a few other stragglers taking a long time to pack up were all heading for the newly vacant door. Her eyes switching back and forth from Billie Joe to Ben, she was unsure of which path to take. Neither one seemed to have a happy ending. Billie Joe stood at his desk with a small pile of papers, and Ben held the door open glaring at her to come on. The aisle stretched out longer than she remembered, but a decision quickly had to be made. She held her breath as she reached that fork in the road at the front of the room, and each of their eyes lit up in expectation. Billie wanted, felt like he needed her to go left and stay with him, but unfortunately Ben was victorious today.

Avoiding his surprise, Becky walked out the door into Ben's open arms. She tried to push past him, but he trapped her into a hug and forced a kiss on her knowing Billie Joe would be watching. The noised during the passing period drowned out whatever she said to him while she found success at peeling him off and then disappeared down the hall with Ben following close behind her. Irritated at another failed attempt, Billie Joe threw the papers he was excited to show Becky on his desk. Tightening his tie causing some slight suffocation, he stared down at the scattered divorce papers.

My POV:

"Wait up!" Ben called a few people behind me in the buzzing hall. I'm not listening. He's such a jerk. How could he have done that in front of Billie? How could I have let all this happen? If it was at any other time, I would have joked with my friends and call it karma, but now it would only result in "Shut the hell up fucktard!" and a punch to the head.

Rushing down a stairwell full of headaches with Ben advancing every other step, I actually looked forward to going to lunch. Yeah so Nick's still there, but as long as he stays far away from me, he'll continue to keep the qualifications that give him the title of being a male.

At the base of the stairs, my book bag was yanked off my shoulder forcing me to spin around and blurt, "What the fuck?"

"When I tell you to wait, you do it." Ben dropped my bag back on my shoulder.

"You're an asshole." I adjusted the strap.

"Awww I was only playing with you."

"Oh was that what you were doing?... Got to hell."

He started to laugh, "I'm taking you down with me."

"I'm already there." I coughed out a laugh realizing my fate. "How long do I have to keep doing this?"

"'Till I see fit." Smart ass. This is so effed up. I'm only 16. I should be more worried about my date for homecoming and what dress I'll wear than this crap. "Need I remind you that you came to me?"

"Out of stupidity and desparation!" Finally the lunchroom. "Ok bye now." I flung my hand up in farewell.

"You want me to stay?" Idiot take a hint.

"I don't." There's Katie, Josh, and Lea. I left Ben in the crowd and ran for my seat. "Hey guys." I swung my bag under the table and sat down. None of them said anything or even acknowledged me. "Guys? Hellooo?" Waving my hands in each of their faces, only Katie looked up. "Katie, a moment?" As she got up with me, the others gave her disgusted looks. Why?

"Ok what the hell is that all about?" I asked. She kept her eyes elsewhere as if she was ashamed to be seen anywhere near me. Seeing her like this, my sight twitched to the other clicks. Were they just pointing and staring at me? Snickers? What?

"Nothing. Everyone's just tired."

"B.S. Tell me what I did that all of my friends are ignoring me and I'm getting all this attention from the fellow dickwades of the world?" Rewinding back to yesterday morning and fast forwarding to now, I couldn't pin point anything I had done wrong, leaving out offensive. "You were all talking to me yesterday." Our table was watching trying to be inconspicuous (not one of their strengths). That is so wrong. They're using the deaf kid that can lip read to follow our conversation. Whatever I did must be pretty juicy; orange or grape, not prune or craneberry (gross). "Well speak!" I blocked her view of our table. Think for yourself jeesh. "You guys still can't be stuck on that whole Nick thing! I'm just not talking to him. It's my decision."

"It's not that."

"Ok now we're getting somewhere. Go on." The snickering continued inn the lunchroom. Why do high schools always seem to find unity at the expense of others?

"I'm your best friend, right?"

"Yeah, as far as females go."

"Then you wouldn't lie to me or not tell me something important?"

"Why do I feel like I'm walking into a trap?"

"Humor me?"

"Fine. I guess yeah. Mostly depends on the circumstances." Son of a gun she knows about Nick, Crap, slimy toad. Oh no, about Billie Joe?

"Ok I suppose that's something. Well it's been a pleasure having this chat with you so-"

"Wait, wait, whoa, I know you. That shit doesn't work on me." I held on to her purse strap. She can be such a material girl, because she can't go far without it.

"Let go," she whined, batting her hands at me. Should I be threatened?

"Tell me."

"I don't want to be the one to tell you this."

"Stop stalling." I crossed my arms and waited for an explanation.

"No one's really mad at you per say. They just don't know how to talk to you."

"Huh?"

"Lea heard from some girl that you had an orgy with 2 guys you found on the street and now you're pregnant."

"Oh my god are you kidding?" This is ah ha, too funny to think. While I laughed and stuttered incomplete sentences, Katie looked serious.

"Is it true?"

"Of course it isn't! I would never...at my age! It's a silly rumor. I know you guys are better than that. An orgy? Seriously come on."

"Well you do seem like the type to do something like that."

"I seem like the slutty trailer trash type... Maybe I do, but how could you guys, my friends, believe something so farfetched?"

"I don't know. You're always so perverted."

"That shouldn't mean anything! Katie aren't you supposed to be my best friend? You know me-"

"No, not anymore!" Ah that made me jump. This is the most lively I've seen her. "You barely talk to us unless it conveinient for you, not to mention you just left the bowling alley without telling me. I fucking looked everywhere 'til hours later I get a phone call from you."

"That was awhile ago! I'm sorry. I've been busy ok?"

"Sorry's not going to cut it this time. You used to be fun, but now you're so self-absorbed and everything has to be about you and your problems." Ready to snap, bending, breaking. She's right, but stop. "We think it's best for you not to sit by us anymore." I never pegged Katie for being such a time bomb. How do you respond to your friends abandoning you? Uh... "Becky just don't talk to us 'til you have your shit straightened out." God dammit people stop looking at me!

I turned and looked at my audience with a sick clot forming in my gut and fire burning in my eyes, the whole time smiling big. "I went to the doctor and found out it was a girl. Cassie's a good name, but baby names are open for suggestion!" I rubbed my stomache and made sure I looked each one of them in the eye including my friends. "Now if you excuse me, I have to go find my baby's father!" I stormed away hearing the whispers silence themselves and restart. Another person I care about gone, I'm left alone and apparently carrying a bastard child. Great...

Now what's next?