A Student/Teacher Relationship

Chapter 21?

BJ's POV:

"Adrienne, open the door." I stood outside the front door to my house just coming home from today's job hunt; Turned up zilch. Even though I was released only a few days ago, my wrists still feel sore from those damn handcuffs which were completely unneccessary and I have this unhealthy habit of constantly checking over my should in fear an escaped inmate had tracked me down. This Officer Braun seemed majorly pissed to see me go; Something about not enough evidence? Forget about it. It would be idiotic to wrap myself up in a security blanket, because I know this won't be over for a very long time if not forever.

After traveling in and out of several offices and one being a dignity stripping K-Mart, I was reluctant to come home to take a long shower and then snuggle up in my bed with a supremely delicious ice cold beer. Walking to the door, I could just taste it at the tip of my tongue. But slipping one of the only two keys I need to have, it didn't work; Neither did the other one. Did she change the locks? "Adrienne, baby, please?"

"No Billie. I can't take this anymore! I'm not going to spend the rest of my life being the wife of a cheating bastard and the boys aren't going to have one as a father!" I heard her sob on the other side of the door. "Just go away!"

"Adrienne, Adie, you're being unreasonable. None of that stuff is true." Yes, I recognize it's wrong to lie when I've already done so much already, but what have I done so far that is right? Wait, I know. Joey and Jakob. Is she going to take them away from me? No, I won't let her. "Adie?"

"WHAT?!" She shouted, her anger layered with despair. I jumped nearly a meter into the air from her outburst. Did the earth shake from that? Gah, keep it together Bill.

I slumped against the door and sat on the freezing porch. What can I say? I'm exhausted from running around and begging for a job. Why is it so hard? I wore a regular navy suit, styled my hair in interview fashion, and I didn't put on any eyeliner. All three of these factors left me feeling naked by the way. Maybe I can be that gardner I pretended to be- Scratch that. When I was younger I some how managed to kill a cactus. Don't ask me how. I have no clue.

The memory of how simple things seemed to be months ago brought a warm smile on my face, repairing my involuntary frown. A wave of bone chilling wind slapped my body, reminding me I'm 34 years old, currently unemployed, locked outside my house while my wife weeps over my mistakes and at the same time, under police investigation. Woop dee frickin doo! I'm screwed.

"Adrienne please..." I knocked on the door with the back of my skull. "Don't do this to me."

"Pardon? Don't do this to you? Goodness, I wouldn't dream of hurting you, Billie." Her voice stung my ears, dripping with venom. "Did you ever think cheating on me much less with one of your students wouldn't hurt me?!" She screeched. "I stood by you when your music career failed; I helped support you when you went back and finished high school and through college! I raised your two sons! But sor-ry! I don't want to do this to you!"

My lips remained sealed. There is nothing I can say. She's right. Appears to be no fixing this. Besides do I want to mend a marriage that I believed to be over anyways? Optimistically, I can see this as an out; One less torture. But that equals heartlessness and being selfish. Everything hurts more.

"Adrienne?"... No response. Eh, with hope she might be listening. "Adrienne, I'm sorry. There's no excuse for hurting you. You deserve better and so does the boys. But remember, I love Joey and Jakob with all my heart. I don't know what I'd do if I ever lose them. Please think about that... I'll be by tomorrow to gather some of my things. Tell the boys I love them?" I rose to my feet expecting some kind of acknowledgement. Silence. "Okay..."

Dragging my sorry ass to the car I should eventually replace, I releaze I am leaving my family in ruins. Wow, I miss being 16; Careless and had my life figured out. I was the frontman to, I think one of the best undiscovered bands with my best friend by my side. Mike. I haven't spoken to him since the band broke up. We were big though at Gilman, but you know. Shit happens. I could talk to Mike about anything, and now I need his advice more than ever. That was a long time ago though. The past is in the past, but damn I want to make it last. Yes, things are easy when you're a child.

Where to? A hotel or something? Or a bar? No, I gotta start being responsible. I'll find a motel with a bar; Cut out the middle man of driving. No more DUI's for me!

***
No One's POV:

Dave, the bouncer in the bar of the remains to be nameless hotel he worked at, sipped at his ice water as he sat staring at the TV screen suspended over the bar, lost in the world of NFL football. Tonight's flow of visitors in and out the door was slow as it always is so Dave never had much obligation to actually do his job. He sat peacefully at the far end away from "the crowd;" two moderately attractive women in their mid to late twenties nursed a bloody mary and a martini, a slumped over man with black hair surrounded by majority empty beer bottles as one half full tilted carelessly in his hand, and the rest were fellow coworkers from different parts of the hotel done early on their shifts.

The bartender, Ron, tapped on the counter a few inches away from where Dave's hand rested.

"What?" Dave snapped. Ron stepped back out of surprise which shattered his laid back atmosphere. "Sorry." He muttered preparing to explain his uncalled for irritation. "They're calling scores. I got 50 on this game."

"I know you do." Ron nodded, loosening back up. "You owe me a hundred from last week's game."

"Then why are you bugging me?" Dave's eyes followed the path Ron cocked his head. The man with black hair mentioned earlier snored rather quietly for the average male. "Are you kidding me? That is why you're disrupting my Monday night ritual?"

"Hell yeah. Get his ass up. I'm not having druggies sleepin-"

"Fine, fine keep it in your pants." Dave stood up and headed towards the other end of the bar. "Wake up sleeping beauty." He towered over him. "Hey." He pushed his shoulder. In a fast paced chain of reaction, the sleeping gentleman slipped off his stool and collided to the floor. Giggles sounded behind Dave from the two women only a few seats away.

Dave smiled at them and mumbled, "Ta-da." Only the dark haired one understood his joke and lightly clapped. He turned back around expecting sleepy to be stirring from his fall. But nope, it didn' even phase him. He snuggled up against the legs of the stool and slept like he was warm in his bed. The bouncer sighed, knelt down, and effortlessly lifted the man to his feet while he continued to nap. "Hey buddy." He lowered his voice and shook him a bit.

The man groaned and his eyes eased into fantastic green slits. Dave looked over at Ron who watching the scene.

"Get-him-out-of-here." Ron mouthed, pointing from the awakening drinker to the doorway leading out into the hotel lobby.

"Ok bud, come on you gotta leave."

The drunken stranger found unstable balance on his own and silently grumbled feeling around his pockets.

"Alright, let's go." Dave urged him to walk. A finger flew in his face, signaling him to wait a minute. Dave rolled his eyes as the finger quickly withdrew and a hotel card was shoved there in its stead.

"I have a room at dis estubishment." He slurred a matter of factly.

"Still can't sleep in here." Dave slipped behind him and directed him to the exit. The stranger started to stumble onward but stopped beside the two women.

"Becky?" He gaped at the brown haired girl. Those who knew Becky could tell right off the bat he was "under the influence" by this incorrect assumption. They looked nothing alike. She looked to her friend and Dave for some kind of hint of what was going on. "Becky, you're alive!" He took a step towards her and tripped over his footing. "I can't believe it." He shook his head. "Why are you here?"

"Ummm..." Her eyes scanned the shadows of the bar in search of any red blinking lights from a hidden camera.

"Miss do you know him?" Dave asked.

"Of course she does." He brushed Dave's hand off his shoulder. "I'm Billie Joe and she's Becky. And we're leaving." (Did you know alcohol effects depth perception?...Probably.) That came into play as Billie Joe reached for the presumed Becky's arm, missed, and fell on top of the stool next to her.

Her blonde friend jumped to her feet, snatched her purse, and threw money on the counter. "Let's go Kelly."

Without a real word ever muttered from Kelly's lips, she casually hightailed it out the door followed closely behind her friend. Dave picked up the disoriented Billie Joe and tried to get him on his feet again. "Well that was amusing. Now I don't have to ask what's got you down in the dumps."

"So confoosed..." Bille Joe scratched his head and attempted to get his bearings.

"Dave?" Ron stomped over. "Why is he still here? Go do your job."

"Fuck off." He retaliated with everyone's favorite finger aimed high in the air.. "What room is your dumb ass in?" He glared at Billie who stared absent mindedly at the door.