A Student/Teacher Relationship

Chapter 24

All through the night I tried to push Jimmy's "proposition" out of my mind. It's utterly ridiculous! I'm 16, he's crazy, and what would I possibly do in California?... But everytime I was hounded by my family about how my first day back went, the golden state seemed like a real alternative. For example, " Hey Bec how was your first day?" Hmmm... I can shrug and say "fine," complain till I run out of spit, or run off to Cali. If I was apathetic as many others believe themselves to be, westward hoe! But haven't I already lived long enough without considering consequences? No, I can't do it. High school? College? Jimmy?

***
BJ's POV:

I awoke groggily, smothered by a mess of cigarette smoke and tide scented sheets. Grateful to whoever left me here and the curtains drawn, I rolled over and saw 12:48 PM glowing in the darkness. Now would be the best time to go get my stuff with Adie out of the house at her new temp job and the boys at school. How am I going to explain all this to them if Adrienne hasn't already? Well, they're not dumb. In fact, I think they're way smarter than me most times. Maybe they'll just figure it out on their own without ever having to discuss it.

This place sucks. I miss California.

Hold the phone, that's it! Just brainstorming here: I'll go on vacation to California to clear my head. Get back to my roots as some say, but then again I'm not a damn plant. Not where I grew up. That place was a snore. Oakland, yeah... The more I think about it, the better it sounds. Only for alittle while though. But first I need a shower.

My POV:

Bell rings at 1:10, I make it to creative writing at 1:13. I didn't here it go off from the bathroom stall I spent the 50 minute lunch period in. No one will talk to me without shooting an insult, so fine. I don't want to speak to you bastards either. Coming from the closing door and sitting in my seat, the room was silent.

"Do you have a pass?" Ms. Lamp asked with chalk in hand.

"No," I mumbled slouching in the chair.

"Ok then." She grinned and turned back to the board.Ms. Lamp has been the only person so far since my return that hasn't really treated me any differently; A little unspoken refusal to judge. Just come to class and you better love to write. "Class, today we are going to discuss career opportunities for those of you who are serious in pursuing writing after high school. To start off, is there any questions?" Her bug-like eyes surveyed the small sea of blank faces.

Hey, I have a question! Without raising my hand because I don't see a point in it through the silence. "Do you have to go to college to become a writer?"

"... No, but it is highly recommended like for example, college level english courses are useful in developing your writing."

"So I don't neccesarily need it?"

She shrugged. "Yes, I s'pose-"

"Um so let's say, could a high school drop out still be successful?" That was strictly a curiosity question.

"It's possible, but I don't suggest it at all." Ms. Lamp gave a concerned look. Gosh I was only asking.

"What? Couldn't find anymore teachers to screw so ya thinkin' about droppin' out?" Pat taunted at the other side of the room. My only relfex was to stick my middle finger high. "Oh n-n-no," he studdered. "She's getting mad. She's about to blow. Quick! Someone fetch her a razorblade!"

Kyle, the red headed step child in front of me, lept out of his seat and glided to the door in an overly dramatic manner that would make even Shakespeare sick. "Oh my, there are no razors here! Will a spork from the cafeteria do?" The scene paused until the entire class bursted into laughter. Even my ex- best friend, Katie laughed.

All I can see is their smiling faces with their eyes shooting acid onto my skin, and their amusement echoing in my ears. Ms. Lamp tried to regain control as I laid my head down and didn't let any of them see the single tear that escaped from my hate.

BJ's POV:

Clothes, check. Toiletries, check. Wallet...shit, where the fuck is it?... Wait, ok check. And last but certainly not least, Blue. Leaning back, I stroked the sticker covered guitar case secured in the back seat. Well then everything appears to be in order. I would fly, but the whole "don't leave the state" thing would be difficult to get around so what the hell, why not drive? It'll give me even more time to think of a way out of this. Turning the key in the ignition, the engine purred. Yes, I'm westbound.