Unpredictable

You're Always Unpredictable

I had been watching her now for the longest time. I had lost track of the minutes, hours, that my attention had been captivated by her presence from across the bustling room. I questioned how she hadn't yet noticed my eyes travelling over her every few seconds, although her own attention appeared to be fixed in its own distant point. Oblivious to the world, and oblivious to me.

It was impossible for my mind to create the right words to describe her, and her mystique. Perhaps stunning? Or beautiful? Maybe amazing? Somehow, none seemed to fit. I don't think a word existed to explain the intensity that seemed to be flowing from her still form. She had a pure, natural type of beauty, that at the same time seemed almost surreal. I couldn't work her out at all; that distant and serene expression on her face, along with her tense posture, was an interesting combination. It ensured that I couldn't take my eyes away for too long, for fear that I could miss the slightest movement. And yet she never once shifted her gaze; she never once acknowledged the presence of another, and seemed strangely cold with her distance. Never the less I felt drawn to her, as a siren attracts lost men at sea. I simply wanted to approach her, to know her. That was my utmost desire.

And yet I couldn't. There was something holding me back, despite the perfect situation that our surroundings provided us with. The music flowed around the room while people moved together, talking and laughing, yet she still remained alone. For me to approach her would be a perfectly normal act; she was beautiful, and we were in a club. I had no excuse, but I couldn't make the move. Another mystery to me.

My attention was dragged from their subject as the persistent calling of my name finally needed a response. I lazily glanced to my left as the owner of the club approached me. We had been close friends since high school. This was his opening night, and I had been specially invited. He had made quite the success of himself.

"Hey," he started in his tone, much lower than mine. I inclined my head in response to his greeting as he walked up beside me, putting his hand on my shoulder. "You know, there's someone I'd like you to meet," he said in a raised voice so I would catch his words above the music, with a terribly hidden smirk across his face. I smiled lightly at my friend and nodded in response. I knew that look oh too well. It had been one of his favourites in our teenage years. To this day, he could just vaguely hide it as it creeped on his lips, but could never remove it from his eyes.

I stood up straight from leaning against the bar, and followed as my friend gradually began to weave through the crowd; his steps slow and steady as he talked to me once more.

"Ive known her for a long time, now," he began to explain, "She's out of it quite a lot, so I figured you two would get along well," he commented in light humor. As he glanced over his shoulder at me I sent him a sarcastic smile. He never did forgive me for crashing his first car at age 18, and claiming that I had simply zoned out for a moment. However, that had never stopped him for using my excuse to argue or reason everything with me for the passing years. I was thankful he didn't focus on the fact that he knew full well I had been hallucinating that morning. It was hardly my fault that trees began dancing across the road.

I physically paused as I found my friend approach her. The girl that was enigma to me, that I had been watching for so long. My friend glanced back at me and his eyebrows furrowed together from my distance. I quickly instructed my legs to close the gap between myself and the two people before me. I wondered, had he noticed that I had been watching her?

I now stood barely a meter away, and yet she still hadn't turned to face me. To be more precise, she was still yet to move entirely. Even as my friend spoke to her, she hardly seemed to be listening. Somehow, it didn't manage to seem rude or ignorant in the slightest.... Just distant. Mysterious. I was endlessly intrigued by her, by everything that she was hiding from the world. I needed to know more.

After a moment of his low whispers, my friend took a step back from her and reached across to me. He roughly grabbed my arm and tugged at it, causing me to stumble forward a few steps, somewhat embarrassingly. He had always been the rough and tumble guy. I had always been the one to be caught in the crossfire.

"So," he announced in a triumphant tone. "You two should get along well," he said, grinning at me. I rolled my eyes as my attention fell away from him and onto the girl beside me, and that was the moment in which my blood froze in my veins.

She had moved so suddenly I hadn't seen it, but her head was now facing me as her eyes pierced my own. Her expression was blank, and yet her eyes made her whole face come to life. They were a strange mix of blue; bold in tone and yet pale in shade. They seemed littered with streams of white, doubling the intensity while emphasising the night sky pupils in the center. That almost harsh gaze that was focused solely on me, sending goosebumps down my spine. So chilling, yet still ever so inviting.

Almost as soon as she had looked to me, she had again turned away. She no longer was interested on me, or our friend, but on a non existent point in the distance. I grew more curious with each moment she stayed turned away, already hooked in by that one glance. A gaze so addicting I needed to see it one more time. If only she would turn to me.

I caught the muttered words of my friend as he started taking gradual steps backwards. I turned to him with an expectant look, waiting for some form of introduction, and yet he continued to walk slowly away. With each step I grew increasingly curious. He had just bought us together, and yet I didn't know her name, or even who she really was. Was this his idea of a joke, or did he know my curiosity would drive me insane? I tried to tell him my thoughts with my eyes, but even if he understood he dismissed them entirely. Before I had a chance to stop him, he had walked away from the area completely, leaving me to stand beside this mysterious stranger quite uncomfortably.

I found myself clearing my throat as my attention turned to the floor, my weight shifting from one foot to the other. My hands moved into my pockets as I raised my gaze once more, only to be taken back as I found her gaze locked on me. This time it wasn't a glance; I had her full attention. This was my first real chance at seeing the level of her beauty, as I was allowed to soak it in. Her dark hair seemed to frame her face and those startling eyes perfectly. Every feature she possessed seemed to enhance her appearance in some way, from the very few freckles on her light skin, to her pursed full lips. A small labret stud sat beneath the left side of her bottom lip, glimmering in the light. It took me a while to notice she had began to extend a hand towards me.

I looked down at her small, pale hand for a moment, before I wrapped my fingers around the fragile object. Even my own pale skin looked surprisingly tanned against her complexion. I was a little surprised at her grasp that was stronger and firmer than I expected.

"Nice to meet you," she said softly and slowly, her voice floating through the air to catch my ears alone. Never before had the words been caught in my throat as they were now. Never before had I failed to be suave.

I eventually inclined my head towards her. "You too," I replied simply, as her hand released my own and fell back to her side suddenly. I quickly tried to move my hand back to my pocket as smooth as possible, but there was a clear delay in my action. She smiled softly at me, the side of her lips tugging upwards while her eyes remained some what empty.

"I'm going to sit down," she again spoke in her soft, gentle tone. I paused for a moment before I nodded in response, unsure whether I was being sent and invitation to join her or not. Without giving me time to really come to a decision, she silently began moving away from me, appearing to glide across the floor and effortlessly move around other people in the busy room. I kept her in my sights for a moment before timidly following after her. It was quite uncomfortable to find my usual confidence with the opposite sex was failing me. The fact she had captivated me so easily, seemed to have been taking its toll. I had never set eyes on someone quite like her, I was sure of it.

She had moved to a secluded area in the club, away from the majority of other people. I had half expected it as her quiet manner suited the surroundings well, and she seemed not an inch out of place. She seemed satisfied with the new area she was now occupying. She sat down in the small booth, her attention instantly falling back to a distant point that no one else but herself could see. Although still unsure whether she wanted my company, I sat down opposite her quiet form. And that's how we sat for a while; in a strangely peaceful silence.

Before I realised it, I had already lost myself in my own twisting thoughts, her habit appearing to be infectious. My thought patterns took no particular direction; I thought of my environment, the girl before me, the last meal I ate, how much I hated the song that was playing. Meaningless thoughts on life, and questions that didn't have answers, that seemed to stretch for hours in the silence spread between myself and her.

It took a long, heartfelt sigh to snap me from my own wonderland, my gaze moving from a non-existent distant point, onto the attractive young woman opposite me. Her attention was drawn to the table resting beneath her elbows, as a strange expression took over her face. It was no longer blank and serene; calming. It was troubled, and tense. Her brow was slightly furrowed as her eyes appeared darker, still fixed on the wooden surface. Still slightly unfocused and distant.

"I don't belong here," she said firmly, although her words lacked volume. Like our first encounter, her head had suddenly raised to look in my direction, her startling eyes diving into mine. This time, I didn't freeze quite so much. She hadn't caught me so off guard.

As the seconds passed, her gaze become more severe, pain hiding behind the icy blue surface. They appeared to be shimmering in the harsh yet low light of the booth. I could feel my heart sinking further to the ground as our gaze remained locked, her feelings seeping through into me. It seemed amazing to have achieved it, but could understand her completely. I understood her precise meaning and intent behind those very few words. I could trace her thought patterns, matching them with mine to slowly unravel her enigma. The pain, her pain, was filling me up until I found it harder to breath. I suddenly felt the need to give this mysterious stranger the world. Surely that would be enough to stop her from hurting, to take her pain and make it my own. Those troubled eyes and flawless features didn't deserve such torture.

I slowly moved my hand across the table, gently resting it over hers that was lying dormant on the smooth surface. The object was so much smaller than my own, and yet had such strength flowing through it. The simple contact was sending goosebumps spiking through me.

"I think you do," I whispered to her, my voice rasping as my throat became dry. Her gaze that had been caught by my hand reaching out to hers, was now focused back onto me. My heart began race in surprise, the emotion in her eyes so much different than they had been a moment before. There was a new life, a fire or passion. So intense I was sure her eyes would tint red from the energy building behind that expression. I couldn't quite place it for anger, nor lust. I couldn't be sure of how she was thinking of me. Did she now see me as a threat, or something better?

The moment was brief, as her eyes faded back to their empty state. However, they still retained a hint of life that they had before. The pain had been quickly covered up, and pushed to the side. She slowly withdrew her hand from beneath mine, her attention falling to her lap.

"You don't know me," she spoke quietly, though still firmly. "So don't do that," she instructed. I was temporarily confused by her sudden change in character, but her thought patterns where still interlocked with my own. I could still understand her enigmatic state, and all the pain that she carried with her as a burden for every waking moment. I realised then her distance had been caused by dismissal. Never before had someone responded to her deepest emotions as I had, they had simply hidden from it. She felt she had given something to me by allowing myself to drown in her gaze, understand her pain. Instead of ignoring what I had seen, I had wanted to understand her, to comfort her, to heal her. That was something she was new to, while being a feeling we both shared. I felt more deeply connected to this young woman than I had ever imagined possible, all in just few words and powerful looks.

I felt a new confidence rising through me. She was so fascinating to me, and yet felt like a necessity. I had to have her in my life; with me. Like oxygen. To let her escape now would surely be a crime, or worse, suicide. Never before had I met someone so perfect in every possible sense, and I don't think she had never met another quite like me. Her reactions towards me made that clear.

I put my weight onto my arms as I leaned forward over the table, closing the already small space between us. "Do you want to get out of here?" I questioned carefully. Her eyes began to study me, analyzing me as they flickered over me. I was aware it was a very forward offer, and that it would be natural to refuse, but my confidence levels remained the same. I had some kind of trust in her.

After a short silence her gaze turned back to my eyes, and she tilted her head a little to the left. I saw a light smile playing on her lips, reflecting briefly in her eyes. The consideration was there; the attraction was there. I could see it myself. I could feel it.

"No," she said lightly, with that smile still present. I felt my expression drop as my confidence fell with it, her refusal catching me off guard. She had managed to confuse me once more, just as I felt I was getting somewhere. The challenge was a strange one, to say the least.

I watched with interest as she suddenly rose to her feet, her gaze no longer on that distant point but darting around our surroundings. She was more alive than she had been a little under 10 minutes ago. I wasn't sure whether that should be one of my achievements. Still, intrigued once more by her quick leave, I pulled myself up onto my feet and watched after her. I took a few steps out and away from the booth, to find she was gliding once more across the club floor. She was approaching the exit, before I saw a quick glance over her shoulder. Her eyes connected with mine instantly, despite our distance, as if she had been following my movements all along. I frowned deeply, my confusion mounting, but her gaze was silently beckoning me onwards. Without a second thought on the matter, I started after her as she left the club, not at all complaining with her mysterious actions. They seemed that much more appealing, although the hard to get method rarely worked on me.

As I stepped out into the darkness, I quickly got into step with my mysterious attraction. The golden autumn leaves crunched underfoot as we walked together across a small grass area outside the front of the club, making our way towards the main street. The street lamps were further off from us, offering little light to guide the path, and just creating darker shadows.

I glanced to my side as She suddenly started to up the pace, running effortlessly further away from me, and reaching at least 20 feet from me. That's when the strangest thing happened, and my heart leapt into my throat from the shock. I could feel her moving further from me, and it was hurting. Almost as if her hand was wrapped around my heart and dragging it with her; the pain so much I couldn't bare it. I was sure I would have passed out from the strain, if the crisp, cold night air hadn't kept me alert.

Aware of her action, she slowed back down to a mere walking pace, turning around so she was stepping backwards with her attention on my stumbling form. She bit down on her bottom lip, a seductive light in her ice blue eyes as her gaze locked with mine, still calling out to me like the siren she was. It was the most I could to do command my body to speed up and catch up to her. That was the only thing to save myself the intense pain of losing my heart as she held it firmly in her grasp.

+

I slowly woke up to the suns warm rays streaming through the blinds that poorly covered my window. They had never worked very well, so light had always been my natural alarm clock. I stretched out with a sigh, my chest aching strangely, as I began to wake up completely. Once sufficiently back to earth, I opened my eyes, squinting into the morning light and becoming increasingly aware of my immediate surroundings. I didn't even need to glance to my left to find something that began to confused me all over again. She was gone.

I sat up slowly, my eyes falling onto the perfectly made opposite side of the bed; the sheets pulled tight and the pillow plumped to a full shape. It looked like no one had slept there, or even touched it, since the bed had been first made. Glancing around, I found that my clothes, too, were no longer resting in odd spots around my room, but instead were no longer insight. The whole bedroom was curiously spotless and neat.

I rubbed my face in frustration, running my fingers through my hair and looking around me in disbelief. It was impossible for me to have dreamt it. It had been so real. Every part of it; those deep, pained eyes, her rare but faint smiles and flawless skin. It had all been beside me, part of me, I was sure of it. The peculiar, empty feeling my chest was still there. It felt as though my heart had been stolen, and an ongoing ache and longing had been left behind in its place. And yet, there wasn't a single trace that another person had ever entered my bedroom, or that I had truly met them at all. All I had was my sea of memories and unanswered questions.

I moved my arms back to support my body, my hands resting on the pillows towered up behind me. I paused as my fingers brushed a smooth, flat surface, causing me to frown as my gaze followed it. It was only then I noticed a small piece of paper set on the pillowcase beside me, that I hadn't managed to catch upon my first glance. Its small size and colour had hidden it against the white pillowcase beside me.

I reached out and lightly tried to pick it up, but found it attached to the thin cloth. I leaned closer to find a small metal pin was holding it in place, carefully piercing the paper and stuck into the white material. I gently pulled it out before resting it on the table beside me, and picked up the small note. I sat back and unfolded the small paper, staring blankly onto the words etched into its surface, while her face found its place in my minds eye. It was, of course, from her. There could be no one else.

I frowned as I looked over the few simple words scribbled across the white paper in black pen. I read over them carefully, repeatedly, not understanding what they meant or why they had been written. Neither were they a name, or any form of contact details, but a short statement. The words had been placed within quotation marks, and one of them had been carefully underlined in red. I bought the small card closer to my face as I tried to work out what it was, being much too thick to be written in a pen similar to the one that had neatly scribbled down the words. The vibrant red was darkening to a deep brown colour at the edges, I guessed, as it dried. My eyes suddenly widened as I realised there could only be one possible explanation. It was blood. My head turned to look at the pin on my bed side table and understood that must have been what she had used to make the mark. She had used her own blood, but why?

I shivered suddenly as the image appeared in my head; her distant, tortured eyes watching the crimson drip from her fingertip as she pierced it, before carefully moving it across the clean white surface of the paper. All while standing at my bedside, while watching my sleeping form, that was completely oblivious to the act. Once again, all she had left me with was questions. The momentary understanding of her I had once felt had long since vanished, but the pain I had felt when I had looked deep into her eyes still remained.

Yet I still couldn't place the words she had so carefully written and had signed, as it were, with her own blood. I couldn't make sense of the words, or put them into a context where they would fit. I couldn't imagine what had been spinning through her thoughts as she wrote the words, set them on the pillow, and left the room. As she had left my life just as silently and mysteriously as she had entered it. I just couldn't think of a single reason, no matter how many times I read those words in my head, out loud, or in whispers;

"You're always unpredictable"