Dark Blue.

Chapter Four.

Frank didn’t know what to say, especially to something as meaningful and heartfelt as that. He wasn’t used to it and he wasn’t sure how to respond; does he say something nice back? Or does he completely disregard the sudden feeling of emotion. Frank was nervous, his compassion was almost never used so at this point; it was useless.

It was almost if Gerard had meant to make Frank feel uncomfortable and right at that moment, it was working.

“Uh, I uh—”

Gerard’s eyes crinkled behind the lenses of his sunglasses as his lips formed into a curvy, closed mouth smile. He hadn’t meant anything by it because to him, affection was just a trait that had been hammered into him since he was small. Having lived for nineteen years with the same people, most of them being women, he didn’t know any other way to react. People often called him names for it, but he just referred the actions as himself.

He let out a small chuckle, “didn’t mean to make you feel strange, man. Sorry if I did.”

Frank blinked and swallowed the nervous lump that had set itself inside his throat. “It’s okay… I was just a little taken back, that’s all.”

Gerard nodded and looked out towards the sea, seeing the usual black that was in front of his eyes twenty four seven turn to a brilliant lighter tone. He wasn’t exactly sure what colour his lids now were, but he decided that he didn’t really care as long as he got to see some part of it.

“Some sunset, huh?” he mumbled, the grin on his face slowly creasing into a smaller one. Frank looked in the far distance, blinking.

“Holy shit, man,” the other said in awe, watching the sun fade into the sky. “I’ve been here for nearly my entire life and I can’t believe that I’ve only seen this shit now.”

Gerard laughed. “Lucky.”

Frank furrowed his brows, before raising them in realization of what he said. “Oh shit,” he went, curling his lip back in apology, “sorry, I—shit.”

“It’s fine,” Gerard smiled, giving half a shrug in Frank’s direction as if to say so with his body language. “Used to it, so you don’t need to apologize.”

Regardless of the other man’s reassurance, Frank couldn’t help but feel sheepish and slightly stupid for saying something as insensitive as that, even if it was unintentional. Though he didn’t have to deal with the struggle of having no sight every day, he couldn’t even begin to imagine what it would’ve been like if he was blind.

“So uh, what’s it… what’s it like?” he asked, almost contradicting what his opinion was. Gerard turned his head to the other’s direction and raised a brow.

“What’s what like?”

“Aw, c’mon man… don’t make me say it.”

Gerard chuckled, “but it’s fun hearing you squirm.”

Frank tried to ignore the feeling of guilt that was slowly creeping up his throat. “Gerard.”

“Oh fine,” the mentioned went, rolling his useless eyes, then resting his chin on his palm. “It’s… well, for one, it’s no walk in the park.”

Frank smiled at this. “Well I can imagine that.”

“To tell you the truth, it’s weird. It’s… it’s a struggle, having to wake up every day and facing a world that you know is always going to be dark and that you’re never ever going to be able to see anything but the dark every single day for the rest of your life.

“I know that I say that I don’t need to see, that I’ll be able to get through the rest of my life with no colour but really, all I want is to get some doctor who’ll get me a surgery that’ll fix these goddamn… broken eyes. I just want to able to perceive objects through these things that whatever god gave me, like everyone else can.”

Frank only stared, for this was the first time in the five hours that he’d known this man, that he’d heard him actually show an emotion other than joy.

It was weird to see such a man that seemed so happy go lucky with everything that came his way, seem to want so much for something that most people considered menial and just another thing that they had control over. The feeling of being able to see was something that again, a lot of people passed over as something that they would have in their grasps forever.

Disregarding the fact that some people—like Gerard—haven’t had the ability to see in his entire lifespan, also known as forever.

Gerard was breathing heavily at the end of his rant and inhaled sharply, before sniffling. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to have an outburst like that.”

Frank broke out of whatever trance he was in and shook his head, “it’s okay. Everyone… everyone needs to let out whatever steam they’ve got bottled up inside.”

The other let out a nervous chuckle, “yeah. Right, of course.”

Frank smiled and turned his head towards the sunset. “It really is pretty,” he mumbled underneath his breath. “I really wish you could see it.”

That was when a vibrant and colourful plan drew itself into Frank’s brain. With that plan, he knew that Gerard was going to get a chance to fix his broken eyes by the end of the weekend.

That very idea was what bombed a smile onto the younger man’s face, because he knew that even if Gerard couldn’t see it, it was still going to be there.
♠ ♠ ♠
though it's short, this is where the plot thickens and my brain actually starts creating ideas, instead of making me write stupid drivel that no one seems to be reading anyway. XD