Why So Serious?

Enter: Playing Cards

He knew it was wrong. It didn't matter though. It was just a fact that it was wrong for him to be in there. He wasn't 21 yet. He wasn't 18 yet either. They shouldn't let him drink. The shouldn't let him play poker. But here he was playing poker and drinking on a Tuesday instead of taking that physics test. He knew he'd get a 100 on it anyway.

He is good. Even the dealer had to admit it. He kept winning. He could tell the casino was getting mad, but he played on. He wasn't playing fair, though. Playing fair was for squares. Playing fair was for people who depend on luck. He didn't need luck. He could create his own luck.

He is good at math. He counts the cards. He guesses the probability. Sometimes he'd lose. Poker is a game of chance. But a lot of the time he won. His game was blackjack. 21 had never been so easy.

This dealer is tricky though. The dealer wants him to lose. The dealer sticks an extra card into the deck. He thinks the dealer is suspicious of him. He knows about the extra card. He knows what it is.

After one more win he packed his earnings in. 3,034.94 to be exact And as he is leaving he finds a lone card on the floor of the casino. The same as the one the dealer sticks in the deck.

He leaves the casino and walks into an alley. He pockets 100 of his money and dumps the rest in a trash can. He drops a lit match inside and walks away. He looks at the card in his hand. A frowning joker. He look at it. "Why so serious?"