Why So Serious?

Enter: Interest

He's snarling. He's snarling and barking and no one can go near him. His eyes are red and he's growling. He's not the same Sniper. Sniper bears his teeth. No one can touch him. No one can take a step towards him.

He's sad. Sniper shouldn't be like this, Sniper is a good boy. Sniper always listens to Joel. But now Sniper isn't listening. And Joel is yelling. Why won't he listen? He doesn't understand why Sniper's acting like this.

"Rabies," Ginny from across the street says. She's standing next to him. Her eyes are welling. "Sniper has rabies," she says. He nods. Poor Sniper. That would explain why Sniper is being so savage. Why Sniper won't listen to Joel. He can't fix this. He wishes he could fix this. There isn't a way to fix this. How can he fix it?

"The little fucker," daddy says. "You'll gave to shoot him, Joel," he tells the neighbor. "Only way to put the little fucker out of his misery." He watches daddy drink his beer. Joel goes inside. He can't fix this. Why can't he fix this? How can he fix it?

Joel returns. There's a gun in his hand. A shot gun. An ugly looking shot gun meant to put Sniper out of his misery. "Hurry up and end that fuckers life. It'll be best for him," daddy crushes his empty beer can in his hand. Ginny sobs. Joel aims the shot gun.

Ginny buries her face in his shoulder. He can fix it, can't he? Yes, he'll fix it. He can fix it. How can he fix it?

Joel aims. The shot echoes. Sniper drops down dead. It's silence. Sniper isn't growling anymore. Ginny sobs and wraps herself around him. He doesn't know what to do. He couldn't fix it. Why couldn't he fix it? He wraps his arms awkwardly around Ginny. She convulses. Daddy looks at her and says, "Why so serious?"