Why So Serious?

Enter: Thugs

It's late. He shouldn't be walking the streets this late. It's late and it's dark. It's late and dark and he shouldn't be out by himself.

But he likes that it's late and dark. He likes how he blends with the shadows and how the only other people who can see him are the other shadow walkers. Besides, he's got daddy's knife for protection.

If someone comes, grab the knife. If he keeps one hand in his pocket wrapped around the knife no one will come near him. No one will hurt him. No one will come near him and no one will hurt him as long as he has the knife.

There's an alley and there are voices. He tightens his grip around the knife. He looks down the alley. He stays hidden in the shadows. No one can see him if he stays in the shadows.

Three men are there. One man holds another while a third beats him. The man being held down is bleeding from the mouth. He's bleeding from his head. He's bleeding through his shirt. The man doing the beating drives his foot again and again and again and again into the bleeding man's gut.

"I'm. Teaching. You. A. Lesson." Each word is punctuated with a kick. "This'll. Show. Ya." The last three delivered to the bleeding man's mouth. He grips the knife tighter. No one will hurt him as long as he has the knife.

The thugs drop the man. They pass him without seeing him. They aren't walking in the shadows so they can't see him. The bleeding man rolls into a ball. He's bleeding from the mouth. He's bleeding badly. e's moaning and crying. He steps out of the shadows and looks down at the crying man. In his head he says Why so serious?