How Dark Is the Night?

False Pretense

(Pete’s POV)
“No!” I screamed.

I carefully looked over to see that I managed not to wake Amanda who rolled over onto her side facing the wall. I was sweating which I thought was not possible for a vampire to do. I cannot let Volkmar get to Amanda.

I got up and quickly put some clothes on. If I do not act quickly, Amanda is going to die and I cannot let that happen. Somehow, I have tapped into Volkmar’s thoughts through my dream. He was not dreaming. I know when and how he is going to get Amanda. There is nothing I can do to stop him, if I don’t act now.

Once I got my clothes on, I noticed that our window was open. I do not remember opening it. I climbed out of it and stepped outside onto the fire escape. I could feel Volkmar was around the neighborhood somewhere, probably feeding.

My instinct was to go to him. I was going to put an end to his madness. I knew Amanda. I also knew how much I had to protect her and my unborn child.

I found Volkmar in an alley with a few of his men. Kat was not with him. As I took a few steps towards him, it was as if he sensed me and turned around. Well, so much for being quiet.

“Ah, what do we have here?” Volkmar said with his goons breaking out their weapons.

“I didn’t come here to fight.” I said trying to come up with a plan in my head to bide Amanda more time to defeat Volkmar.

“Oh, now why would you be out here all by yourself, outnumbered at that?” He snickered with his goons laughing along with him.

“I have some information for you, actually, maybe a trade.” I said.

“What could you have that I would want? Have you come to join me finally?” Volkmar asked holding his men back.

“Actually, yes, I have come to join you. Let’s say that I have come to my senses. We have something in common.” I said.

“What would that be?” He asked showing his fangs but in aweness that I am joining his side.

“We have the slayer in common.” I said. “You want her out of the way. I want her with me. If I bring her to you, I want to be the one to turn her.” I said seeing how Volkmar, was taken a back by my revelation.

“Maybe I want her dead for all the grief she has caused me. I have a plan to get rid of her already. I do not need you. Besides, I also have my pet, Kat who will help me in my plans.” He said.

“As I recall, it was your brother’s plans. You are just trying to succeed where he failed. If you really want to take over the world, it would be much easier with two slayers on your hands. I can control Amanda. Besides, I want her here with me, forever. I bring her to you, but you let me turn her.” I said dead serious.

“And how would you bring her to me? She would see what you are up to.” Volkmar said inching closer to me.

I told him of my plans. I had come up with a surefire way to get Amanda not to suspect anything and bring her to Volkmar. It would take three days.

“You have three days and I shall meet you where you want me to meet you. If you fail, then I will kill her myself!” Volkmar said pushing me up against a wall of a building.