How Dark Is the Night?

The Better Way

“Brendon, what time is it?” I mumbled as I tried to wake up from Brendon’s shaking.

“It is around twelve pm. You drifted off midway through the movie. At first we let you sleep because you seemed at peace then you started mumbling and crying out for Pete in your sleep. Erelin and I thought you may be having a nightmare.” Brendon said concerned.

“Honestly, I don’t remember what I dreamed but thanks.” I said sitting up. And it was true. This time, I didn’t remember a thing.

“Here, let me get you some water.” Erelin said getting up off the couch.

“Amanda, your phone is buzzing.” Brendon said getting my purse and handing it to me.

“It’s Pete.” I said looking at my cell I had taken out of the purse.

“Well, aren’t you going to answer it?” Brendon asked confused.

“No. He knows I am safe here.” I said sighing. Why was Pete becoming so stalkerish all of a sudden?

I heard Brendon’s cell go off and I knew it was Pete calling him to see what was up with me and why I was not home yet. I also knew that he needed to talk to Brendon for whatever reason from this morning and did not get to. I looked at Brendon and gave him a look that signaled him to protect me and not let Pete speak to me. He gave me a look back but understood.

“Yeah, she is asleep in the recliner. I don’t want to disturb her, Pete.” Brendon said on the phone as Erelin brought me some water.

“She is fine. What is on your mind? You want me to bring Erelin and come over with Amanda tonight?” Brendon said talking to Pete over the phone.

“Ok, Pete, I think I can do that.” Brendon said flashing me a huge grin.
When Brendon hung up his cell, he kneeled down beside my chair. “Is there something you want to tell me that only Erelin knows?” Brendon asked.

“No, like what do I need to tell you?” I asked.

“Well, are you and Pete having problems because man does he have a surprise instore for you.” He said.

“Honey, what kind of surprise?” Erelin asked.

“Pete asked me to do something for him so I can’t say what he wants to do. All I know is that he is planning something big and I think you will love it, Amanda.” Brendon said.

“Oh, that is great news, Amanda!” Erelin said smiling.

“Me loving it is what I am afraid of. I think Pete has done something he knows I won’t approve of and so he feels he can cover his tracks and make it up to me by planning something big.” I said rolling my eyes at whatever mess Pete has gotten himself into now.

“Oh, give him a break. He is not that bad. He loves you and just wants to make you happy.” Brendon said making me giggle with his goofy grins that he was giving me.

“I shall try to play nice and be surprised with whatever it is he wants to surprise me with.” I said shaking my head.

“Good. We love you and we love Pete but only because of you.” Brendon said joking.

“Brendon!” Erelin said looking shocked but laughing.

“Ok, we love Pete too, but cut him some slack. You both have been through a lot.” Brendon said hugging me.

“I shall try. I will be so happy the sooner Volkmar is defeated.” I said taking a sip of my water.