How Dark Is the Night?

Take It A Day At A Time

(Brendon’s POV)
Amanda brought Erelin and me over to Patrick’s house so that I may discuss with Pete in private what he needed my help for in surprising Amanda. Amanda had asked me before we left my apartment to make sure that there was nothing going on with Pete because of how weird he was to her earlier. She had told me how he did not like the fact that she was coming over to my place to see Erelin this morning.

Amanda and Erelin had gone to help Sam make supper for her and Amanda as well as Patrick. It sucked not being able to eat food. Maybe soon this would all be over with and I can go back to living a normal life.

I walked upstairs and knocked on Pete’s door. I heard Pete say, “Come in.” I walked in his room and saw him writing in a journal of sorts.

“What are you writing? Is it more songs?” I asked.

“Not quite. It is nothing to worry about.” Pete said tossing the journal. I watched it land between his dresser and his rack of hoodies he keeps.

“Well, I did like you asked. I walked back into the bedroom and shut the door when I got the chance to be alone. I called my friend who owns the beach house that I took Erelin to and the one who got the deal on Andy and Chrissy’s beach house stay. He told me it would not be a problem and he would hide the keys to the place under a rock of all things. Are you anxious for the next few days to arrive?” I asked Pete who was now fidgeting with his sidekick.

“Yeah, thanks.” Pete said distracted.

“Pete, is something bothering you?” I asked sitting on the bed.

“No. Why do you ask?” He said not looking at me but at his phone.

“Well, it’s great that you want to have some alone time with Amanda but is there something wrong? You normally do not surprise her with things unless you have done something.” I asked.

“Why does everyone think I have to have done something to do something nice for my wife?” Pete snapped.

Amanda had a right to suspect that something was wrong. Pete was jumpy about something. I could also sense how tense he was. Could it just be lack of sleep over how Amanda had to be in the hospital recently?

“I am sorry Pete. You probably just want to give her a normal time away after her pregnancy scare.” I said being sincere.

“I am worried...er I mean I was worried. She needs to be happy, before…” Pete trailed off.

“Before what, Pete?” I asked wondering why my friend is so not with it.

“I mean she just needs to be happy. You know, in that with Kat lurking around and Volkmar it would be nice for her to have some peace before they try to attack again.” Pete said.

“Oh, I understand. Was that all you needed me to do?” I asked.

“Well, no. I need you to pull Sam and Patrick away long enough to ask them if they will set up the beach house for us. I want Amanda’s face to light up. I want candles…pretty much the whole works. It would be uh, good for them.” He said.

“I guess so since they can come out in the daylight to set it up.” I said.

“No, I won’t get Amanda there before eight. If they could be there by six thirty that night and have it, ready before seven thirty that would be perfect. I need them to be there at that time.” Pete replied as his phone rang.

“No problem. I shall tell them.” I said smiling as Pete nodded at me and went on to talk to whoever had called him.

I walked out of his room and grinned. This was going to be a nice surprise and I was glad I could help make Amanda happy. Maybe this could be like a mini honeymoon for her.

I walked downstairs to see Amanda sitting on the couch. It was steak night and apparently, Amanda made the salad while she waited for the steaks to cook. Erelin was helping Sam bake a cake.

“So, Brendon is everything ok between me and Pete?” She asked as I sat on the armrest of the couch.

“Yes. He is planning your surprise and you will like it. At first, he looked nervous about something but I think it is because he wants everything to be perfect. You know how much he can be of a perfectionist sometimes.” I said rolling my eyes at Pete.

“Amanda, supper is ready now.” Patrick yelled from the kitchen area.

“Thank you, Brendon.” Amanda said kissing me on the cheek.

“No problem.” I said smiling hoping that she would quit worrying about things.