How Dark Is the Night?

There's A Light On In Chicago

(Patrick’s POV)
“I think that Amanda and Pete are really going to love what we have done to this place.” Sam said standing on the second floor balcony of the beach house Pete is renting.

“I think so too.” I said holding onto Sam and hearing the waves crash in the ocean.

“It is all so calm and peaceful and there is like no other beach houses around for what would be at least a block away if we were in a neighborhood.” Sam said sighing. “Also, a beach wedding would be really cool.” Sam added.

“What, are you changing your mind? We can do this, honey if you really want to.” I said walking over to the bed and sitting on it.

“Patrick! I just fixed the bed and look you knocked the rose petals off!” Sam snapped. “Get, get, get.” She said shooing me off the bed.

“I’m sorry. It’s just that yeah, girls are more the ones with the romantic ideas.” I said picking up the petals that had fallen onto the floor.

“I still love you.” She said reaching over to kiss me. “And the answer to your question is that no, I want a winter wedding in Chicago.” She said laughing.

“You know you can change your mind and I won’t stop you.” I said.

“I know. Maybe we could have two. I mean if Chrissy and Andy can pull that off, why can’t we?” Sam said in all seriousness.

“You are joking right?” I asked.

“Of course I am joking, silly.” Sam said laughing.
I loved Sam’s laugh. Her laugh was the kind of laugh that was contagious and could lite up a room. It always made me smile.

“One wedding with our families is about all I think I could handle. Now, maybe when we are fifty we could renew our vows but then I want to do that in Hawaii, not here.” Sam said grinning.

“I do owe you a trip there.” I said pulling her into a chair with me.

“Yeah, but I won’t see it until I am old and grey, the way you keep talking.” Sam laughed.

“You better watch it.” I said tickling Sam.

“I want rose petals on my bed and candles all around.” Sam said as she took one last look around the master bedroom of the beach house.

“For you, I would do anything.” I replied as we got up and headed downstairs.

“Hey, let’s head down to the beach one last time.” Sam said.

“That sounds like a plan but the water is cold. I don’t think we can walk in it.” I said.

“That is what the sand is for, silly?” She replied as we took off our shoes, carried them in one hand, and held each other’s hand with the other.

We started to walk out towards the ocean when Sam suddenly turned around. “Hon, what is it?” I asked.

“I just got a chill down my spine and it wasn’t from the wind. I think we are being watched or followed.” She said.

I turned to see two figures behind us now, dressed in black. It was almost dark outside and there was not enough sun out, which meant that it could be vampires. This was not good. Why would vampires be out here?

“Sam, I want you to run when I say so and head straight to the car.” I said giving her the keys and watching as we quickly hopped as we put our shoes on.

“I am not leaving without you!” She said worried.

“Just do it!” I yelled as we quickened our pace.

“You don’t have any weapons on you.” Sam said clinging on to me.

“Don’t worry about it. Now, run!” I told her watching her take off.

The two vampires went to chase after her and I caught up to them, tackling one to the ground. I started to beat him senseless but heard a blood-curling scream. I got up off the one vampire and took off in the direction I told Sam to go.

“No!” I yelled as I saw the other vampire that was with the one I was beating up have a hold onto Sam, along with four other vampires standing behind him.

“Take another step and your girl here gets it from Stan over here.” The vampire said holding Sam.

The vampire that I had fought earlier now composed himself and grabbed me from behind. “Please, let her go and just take me.” I said pleading with the vampires. I had no way of protecting Sam because I had no weapons.

“Please do not hurt me.” Sam said.

“We won’t bite you if that is what you mean. We are under an agreement that you are not to be harmed but if you struggle here, well, we do have an appetite to feed.” The vampire holding me said laughing.

“An agreement? What does Volkmar want with us?” I asked hoping I could get some answers.

“Let’s just say that someone you are close to has joined our side and we are not to harm you until later tonight when we are given the ok by Volkmar. You see you are going watch the death of a slayer.” The Stan vampire said snickering.

“Pete?” I asked confused.

“Amanda! No!” Sam said struggling still to break free.

“I warned you what would happen, missy if you kept struggling.” The vampire holding Sam said.

I heard her scream, “No!” Then I was out like a light.