How Dark Is the Night?

Until Her Heart Stops

“Mmm, Pete, can we stay like this forever?” I asked rolling over onto Pete’s shoulder.

“It would be so perfect, wouldn’t it?” Pete responded.

“Yes.” I said snuggling closer.

“You know this can’t last, me and you.” He said kissing my forehead.

I was at a beach house far away from everyone else curled up in a hammock on the deck. You could hear the waves crashing and the sun was shining bright. I was away from all the distractions going on around me.

“Why can’t we last?” I said rising up.

“Mommy, look what I made.” Alexandra said as I looked over.

“It’s beautiful sweetie.” I said glancing at the sandcastle my daughter had made.

I took my eyes off Alex for only a second and then I heard her scream. I looked over to see Volkmar with his right hand over Alexandra’s mouth and his left holding her tightly. Fear reached into me.

“No!” I yelled quickly getting up off the hammock.
I suddenly then swept into a room. It was just me, Volkmar, and Pete in the room. Alex was missing.

“Where’s our daughter?” I demanded.

“Pete, do something!” I said turning around to face him.

His eyes were not the same and I watched as his fangs slid out. I tried to run but Volkmar grabbed me. My heart was racing or was it breaking, for I could not decide.

“I can’t protect you anymore. I have done all I can. It is up to you now to stop this.” Pete said as Volkmar threw me at Pete.

“All in good time, my dear your husband will have you as one of us. There is nothing you can do to stop your change.” Volkmar said as Pete held me tighter and spun me to face him.

“Pete, don’t do this. Think about us. Think about what you are giving up. You are going to have a daughter. If I die, so will her. Please don’t do this.” I said as I started to cry. I was powerless to move just as before when he gets like this.

“I am thinking about us. This has to be done.” He said as the tears fell from my eyes. “I won’t hold it against you if you hate me.” He said whispering in my ear as he moved down my neck pushing me closer to him.

“You won’t see it right away but you will be so much stronger than Volkmar.” Pete said right before I felt two puncture marks on my neck.

The room went black. The next thing I knew, I was in Volkmar’s ballroom. I looked around to to find one of the ballroom windows had been shattered. I walked over to it and climbed out the now empty window, stepping over the glass. There was a trail of blood, which led from where I was standing to the pool, so I followed it.

As I made it to the pool, I looked in the water to find more blood. There was something else as I saw something at the bottom of the pool. I screamed when I realized it was me at the bottom of the pool.

Somehow, now I was the one in the bottom of the pool, unable to breathe, unable to swim. I felt two hands pull me out of the water. It was enough to wake me up.

“No!” I said sitting up in an unfamiliar bed.

I tried to slowly, wake myself completely up. I looked around in the dark to see I was in a huge bedroom. I turned over, and found a lamp on a nightstand, then switched it on.

Where was I? My senses kicked in and I knew that vampires surrounded me in whatever prison I was in. Pete was one of them I felt although goodness was fading.

I reached for my neck and felt no bite marks although I remembered Pete biting and turning against me. I did however feel the dried blood around my neck.

I got up off the bed and noticed the surrounding I was in. The room had a bathroom and a balcony that I decided to explore. I felt that odd, strange sensation of a high I experienced earlier. It felt good and and once I got out on the balcony to look for an escape, my senses kicked in again.

My vision was the first, and I noticed I was being held in a mansion. Interesting, because it must be the one I dream about. The second was my hearing and I noticed conversations that the vampires were having. I reached out and held onto the balcony railing only to discover that when I grabbed it I bent it severely and quicky jumped back so I would not fall over.

I remember feeling this before but why can I not remember how or when? My head still felt a little groggily until I heard Pete in my head. I noticed his thoughts.

Pete is the one who put me here and betrayed me. He wants to turn me. I remembered my dream where Alexandra disappeared and I drowned. It still left me confused on how if I drowned was I to be turned.

I must kill him before he kills me. Pete’s thoughts became suddenly, blocked after my thought. He blocked me. Was he reading mine?

As I went to sit on the bed to figure out an escape plan and a way to take down Pete, I started cramping. “Not now, Alexandra.” I said wincing in pain as I fell off the bed.

I stood back up and the cramps happened again. I am under too much stress and Pete is not making it any easier. Neither is Alex for that matter.

“Look, Alexandra, I know you can’t hear me. However, even though this is all weird, just stop. I can not concentrate.” I said.

The pain started when I thought about killing Pete. “Ok, I get it. I will not kill your father; just make him hurt some after what he is trying to do to me. He will die anyway when I kill Volkmar.” I said aloud.

The pain stopped but the nausea kicked in and I ran to the bathroom. This is just great. I sat on the floor by the toilet with one thought in mind, Erelin and Brendon.

“Brendon.” I said closing my eyes and trying not to be sick.

“Brendon, can you hear me? I need help. Erelin, can you hear me? You have to hurry. I don’t know how much time I have left before I either die, die trying to get away, or kill my husband, wait, I can’t say that. Let me rephrase that. I want to hurt him a lot.” I said hoping I could reach them with my thoughts. Why not, all my other senses are heightend.