How Dark Is the Night?

A Fighting Chance?

I waited for the vampires to pass as I was in another bedroom now, with Pete holding me tight with his hand over my mouth. Once I had felt them move on to another part of the mansion, I elbowed Pete in the stomach and broke away. I was about to run out of the door but he grabbed my arm and spun me around to face him.

“You are not going anywhere.” Pete said flashing his fangs, although his eyes were normal.

I grabbed my stake I had stuffed in my pants and lunged to attack him. I was so pissed at him and at myself for letting him deceive me. He managed to kick my hand, which sent the stake flying out of it.

“I really want to kill you right now.” I said watching him, which caused me to wince in pain.

“Why don’t you and just get it over with.” Pete said his voice changing into his normal voice with concern.

“You would like that wouldn’t you.” I said still holding my stomach and abdomen.

“Alex.” Pete replied.

“Don’t even act like you even care about your daughter now. You are not worth my time in killing. When I kill and defeat Volkmar, which I will, you will die soon enough just like the rest of the vampires. You will not turn this slayer, and you will not kill my daughter, I will tell you that.” I said back into a fighting stance.

Pete took a step closer and part of me wanted him to. He stepped closer to me again but I decked him hard to prevent him from hurting me. I sent him flying into a dresser, which shattered. My strength had improved. I looked over to see Pete slowly get up, but he had some cuts from the wood. He missed the big pieces from piercing him. He now just stood there.

I did not know whether to run or to stay. I wanted answers. I had so many questions. My heart ached and I knew that Pete knew where my friends were.

I felt something though. I felt pain but only in the slightest. It was Pete’s pain. I was feeling the extent of his injuries and he was definitely weaker I noticed as I had become strong. Then, it was gone, same as the knowing he had a soul.

“Why don’t you fight me back? Why do you stand there?” I asked confused. I know I have felt this way before. I just cannot remember it.

“I am not the one you want to fight right now.” He said, as I became mesmorized by him.

“No. I won’t let him control me again.” I thought, as I was suddenly only able to stand and listen to Pete.

Pete approached me. He grabbed my arm and led me back into my bedroom. I let him. I could not fight against him.

“In that bag here on the floor beside the bed is what I packed for you to wear. I want you to wear them.” Pete said pointing at the bag.

“What if I refuse?” I got out.

“You won't.” He said.

“Did I mention that I hate you?” I said bitterly.

“Hate is a strong word.” He said all calm but his fangs had temporarily retracted and his eyes for a brief second turned to hurt.

I decided to try to read his thoughts but was unable to. He had managed to block me from his mind. What secrets do you hide, Pete?

“Why do you want to turn me, Pete? Why now out of all things? You had plenty of time to do it before this mess.” I said as Pete sat me down on the bed.

“You are ready.” Is all Pete simply said.

What am I ready for, to be turned or to fight off Volkmar? I managed to catch a slight feeling of Pete’s soul. Is he good still, but if he is why is he torturing me like this?

“Why do you want to hurt our daughter?” I asked hoping that if Pete were good, then he would have to tell me what is going on.

“Listen here. You have asked too many questions that simply cannot be allowed.” Pete said eyes dark again, fangs out, and pushing me back down on the bed as he crawled on top of me.

“Do it. Bite me if you want. Why wait for Volkmar?” I said a little scared that Pete would do it but he showed restraint that he was always afraid he could not do once he bit me.

“You will be ready in an hour. You will have dressed with what I brought you. Then, and only then may you see your friends before your big event.” Pete said easing up on me as he had pinned me on the bed.

“How could you involve them? They were your friends.” I said.

“Amanda, there is something I have to…no, vampires have no friends.” Pete said getting off me.

“Be ready in an hour. I will be coming to get you.” Pete said before slamming my door shut.

That was it. That was proof that something was not right. He wanted to tell me something but stopped himself. He tried to at the beach house. Ok, I will play his game and be ready for tonight but he has another thing coming if I think he is going to hurt my friends or me by his charade. I will find out what is going on and I will kick ass to anyone who stands in my way of doing so, including Pete.