How Dark Is the Night?

Let The Battle Begin

“Brendon, don’t harm Pete!” I yelled as Brendon tried to lunge at Pete but I blocked him.

“Wait, what?” He asked confused as vampires were circling around us. He fought one off that tried to jump on his back as Pete and I started to fight some vampires that came towards us.

“Pete won’t harm me. Just fight off the vampires and don’t worry about Pete.” I said as Brendon and I had managed to have our backs to each other now as we fought.

“You better have a good reason.” Brendon said in my head.

“He gave me his strength to fight Volkmar. Pete gave up his strength for me so he is weak. He never wanted to turn me and yes I still know he betrayed me and everyone else but when this is all over, he will tell us.” I said back in his thoughts.

I looked over to see everyone was now fighting again. Erelin had brought over many weapons and was trying to toss them to everyone. Micah was trying to get to Kat but was failing. Volkmar had her guarded well. I heard him shout to her but all she could do was stare at him with a blank look on her face.

I broke away from where I was to help Chrissy, who down on the floor with a vampire on top of her trying to pin her so he could bite her. “Erelin, crossbow, now!” I yelled hoping that she had it in her bag. She tossed it to me and I shot him with perfect aim in the heart. Oh how I missed my trusty friend, the crossbow.

“Thanks!” Chrissy shouted as she quickly got back up and hopped up on a vampire’s back, distracting him so that Andy could stake him. “See, we make a good team!” She yelled to
Andy as they moved over to the next vampire.

It seemed like the more we killed the more came charging in the ballroom to attack. We were going to wear out soon. I looked over to see Pete fighting off two vampires. I shot one with an arrow before I was knocked onto the ground by a vampire rearing its fangs out at me. I hit it on the head with my crossbow, dazing it then twisted his neck to send him turning into dust.

I got up and dusted myself. That was disgusting to have vampire ashes on you. I looked over at Pete to see Volkmar was behind him. I yelled, “Pete, look out!” However, I was unable to get to him in time.

“You planned this. You were not going to bite her. You thought that you could have her defeat me and with your gang, that this would end the same way as it did with my brother. Think again!” Volkmar said grabbing Pete by the neck and sending him flying across the floor.

“No!” I screamed as three vampires attacked me.

As I was fighting off my attackers, I saw that Volkmar stood in front of Pete who was trying to get up. Volkmar grabbed him and picked him up, this time I saw a dagger fly out of his right hand and into Pete’s chest. I lost focus and slammed onto the ground by my attackers.