How Dark Is the Night?

We Have The Same Blood

“Go!” I heard Brendon say as my attackers, were lifted off me by him and Patrick.

“We will cover you!” Patrick said as I quickly got up to see that Volkmar had gone back up to his balcony to watch the chaos.

I ran over to Pete who had the dagger still lodged in his chest. He was lying on the floor. I sat on the floor behind him and carefully pulled him into my lap as he hollered and winced in pain. I was scared. I did not know where the dagger had lodged at in his chest. Was it in his heart but not all the way? If I pull it out, will he turn to dust?

“Pete.” I said my voice starting to crack.

“Go fight. Do not worry about me. You hate me, remember?” Pete said. “I am the one who brought you here. I am the one who has betrayed your trust. You have to save Kat now, go!” Pete said as he placed his left hand on the dagger.

“Tell me why you did this.” I said not caring about what was going on right now around me. If Pete was going to die, I had to know why he did this to me.

“Because…” Pete started before I was grabbed from behind, and flung into a wall.
I got up but was a little stunned. I saw that my attacker was Kat. This was not a good time.

“Kat, you don’t want to fight me right now.” I said looking for Pete but not seeing him where I left him.

“Oh, I do want to fight you.” Kat said.

“Kat, Volkmar has screwed you up. He has brainwashed you. Look, Micah is alive fighting for you, over there.” I said pointing to where Micah was.

“Micah?” Kat questioned. “Volkmar said you killed him.” Kat added.

“He lied to you. He starved him from blood then released him. He tried to attack me but I don’t know what happened after Pete bit me and brought me here, other than Erelin and Brendon found him and nursed him back to health.” I said.

“Volkmar wouldn’t lie to me. He loves me.” Kat said.

“Kat he doesn’t love you. He only wants to use your powers and I know that you do not love him. You love Micah.” I said.

“That’s enough!” She said lunging at me. I knocked her back to where Pete had been. I motioned for her to bring it.

Kat had picked up something off the floor. It was Pete’s dagger! He could not have turned to dust. I would have felt it, right?

She came at me with the dagger and missed stabbing me but did manage to cut the right palm of my hand. I grabbed her with my left and tried to get the dagger away from her. As I did, I heard Beckett repeat to me, “You have the same blood.”

Then it occurred to me what he meant. I finally understood. I knew how to bring Kat back to herself.

“Kat, I am sorry but I have to do this.” I said taking the dagger away and cutting her left palm with it. I took her left palm and held it with my right. “Slayers have the same blood. We have the same blood, Kat. Remember who you are.” I said as I tossed the dagger.

Then there was a like a shock between us. I must have blacked out. I was now in a dreamlike state, only this time it was not my dream. It was Kat’s.

I turned and saw Kat standing behind me scared. “Kat?” I asked.

“I feel trapped.” She said. “How do I get back? How do I become myself again?” She asked confused.

“Kat, you need to remember who you are.” I said as she looked at her hand that was bleeding from the wound I gave her.

“We have the same blood. What does that mean?” She asked as I approached her.

“It means that we are slayers. It is our job to protect people from vampires. You and I are like sisters. We are sisters. We come from a long line of chosen families, a select few who fight for good. You and I are alike in some ways. Kat, I was never trying to replace you. I was always a slayer. You brought that back to me what I had forgotten. I know you didn’t ask to be a slayer but it happened.” I said.

“Sisters fight and for whatever reason you went through something I will probably never understand that led to your hatred of me. Do not let jealousy win. I took you in, Kat and tried to help you. Volkmar is only using you.” I said as she grabbed my hand.

When she did, she relived her memories only I saw everything. I saw what I had seen in my dream of when she was turned and how Volkmar told her things when she was in a confused state after waking up from being turned. I saw how she felt about Micah.

“Micah.” She said to me.

“It isn’t too late to save him and your friends.” I said.

“I remember everything now. Thank you.” She said giving me a hug, which snapped me back awake.

“Kat, look out!” I yelled knocking Kat to the ground as I saw Volkmar come up from behind her with the dagger I had thrown.

Then, I felt pain in my right leg as I rolled over off Kat. I saw the blood and a dagger stuck in my right thigh. I had pushed Kat out of the way only to be impaled with the dagger Volkmar threw trying to kill Kat.

I went to pull it out, crying out in pain as I heard everyone shouting. Kat had gotten up and was fighting Volkmar to buy me some time. I tore off the bottom of my pants leg to wrap around the wound to stop the bleeding. Vampires kept coming and I knew I had to quickly, get back up even in pain, but when I tried to stand, I fell back down on the floor.